• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Montana, with a population of 1.1 million, as adminstered 140K doses of vaccine and has fully immunized 38.4K people. The number of active cases is at 19% of the high in November and the number of hospitalized people is at 20% of the November high mark. On Sunday we had the first day in which there were less than 100 new cases in several months. A drop in the number of deaths per day lagged behind the drop in cases per day for several weeks, but recently have seemed be inline with what the hospitalizations and active case numbers would suggest. I'm at a loss to explain what lead to the lessening of the number of new cases. Increased compliance with wearing masks and fewer people in restaurants and saloons is likely responsible for some of it, but perhaps we've achieved some herd immunity. Just a SWAG, but whatever is happening is a good thing.

Kevin,
That's great news! Idaho's numbers are also dropping and I can't help but believe that we're starting to see the effects of getting folks vaccinated. We have to stay vigilant, keep doing the right things and help anyway we can to get more folks vaccinated.

As this pandemic continues the weight of it has shifted, not diminished, from our frontline healthcare workers, to our service people, to our educators and now, most recently, to the folks on the vaccine hotlines trying to assist others with the vaccine appointment process. We need to care for these folks as well. They need our kindness and support too. Give them a thank you.
gp

I'm at a loss to explain what lead to the lessening of the number of new cases. Increased compliance with wearing masks and fewer people in restaurants and saloons is likely responsible for some of it, but perhaps we've achieved some herd immunity. Just a SWAG, but whatever is happening is a good thing.

I would be curious about the level of testing. Here in Texas, other than deaths, the numbers are all over the board and generally meaningless because the amount of testing is irregular and even spastic. It is especially apparent at the local levels where tests might be available one week and then not again for another week or two. So other than hospitalizations, without testing there are no new cases. The data is virtually unusable because while cases are theoretically disclosed the amount of testing isn't kept track of. Testing is highly decentralized and uncoordinated and nobody can identify how many tests were performed on any given day. I hope Montana is doing better than this.

I would be curious about the level of testing. Here in Texas, other than deaths, the numbers are all over the board and generally meaningless because the amount of testing is irregular and even spastic. It is especially apparent at the local levels where tests might be available one week and then not again for another week or two. So other than hospitalizations, without testing there are no new cases. The data is virtually unusable because while cases are theoretically disclosed the amount of testing isn't kept track of. Testing is highly decentralized and uncoordinated and nobody can identify how many tests were performed on any given day. I hope Montana is doing better than this.

In Iowa the number of tests done are reported every day.
Once testing started there was no interruption except for some holidays and blizzards.

As of 10AM today the state is reporting 997,279 total tests have been administered; that is about 92% of the population in raw numbers, but the tested number includes multiple tests adminstered to the same person (my son-in-law firefighter has had three) and tests adminstered to out of state people and illegals. I can say that from memory the tested number seems to have continued to grow at a steady rate; 4,341 were administered yesterday. A more reliable indicator of the state of the pandemic in Montana is the number of hospitalizations. The reduction in that number mirrors the reduction in active cases. The number of active cases in my county is at 19.5% of the November high. So the reduction in statewide active cases and hospitalizations and the reduction in my county active cases are all within a percentage point of each other.

Montana, with a population of 1.1 million, as adminstered 140K doses of vaccine and has fully immunized 38.4K people. .

Iowa has a population of 3.1 million.
348,000 vaccines administered
90,500 people have received both shots

Things are already starting to change in our county. The radio announced you can now register online and you can call in on Tuesdays and Thursdays at noon each week.
This info will probably be in the local paper.

My 85 year old friend said he's holding off because he heard the vaccine made beer taste like buttermilk :)

You should tell him he has it backwards. It makes everything taste like beer.

Remind him that it is somewhat common for Covid survivors to lose their sense of taste. Sometimes only temporary and sometimes maybe forever. So if he likes the taste of beer, or steak, or anything else maybe he really, really doesn't want to risk getting Covid 19.

I have to wait 7 1/2 weeks for my first shot. The only good thing is that the Southern Tier of New York (the counties along the PA border) have the lowest incidence of the plague. We wear masks and are spread out more than other parts of NY.

Harry

Remind him that it is somewhat common for Covid survivors to lose their sense of taste. Sometimes only temporary and sometimes maybe forever. So if he likes the taste of beer, or steak, or anything else maybe he really, really doesn't want to risk getting Covid 19.

When first I got done with my radiation treatment my sense of taste was much reduced and altered. Beer tasted bland and unappetizing and wine was much worse. Thankfully, fine Scottish and Irish spirits tasted as good as always, thus proving there is a higher power and she loves us. My taste has largely recovered these days.

Sounds like Montana and Iowa are dropping their mask mandates. I hope the smart people keep safe.
OM

In the last 2 days we've just hit our highest numbers since this all started, Waiting for the news broadcast with the premier, health minister, and chief medical officer to come on at 14:00 to tell us how bad it is today. Still only 4 fatalities since the beginning. I was working in town for 4 weeks up until the end of last week with plenty of person to person contact so I'm home fingers crossed I don't have it. We're locking ourselves down for a couple of weeks. Thankful we have plenty of food and a lovely property to hang out and we can keep anyone out.

Sounds like Montana and Iowa are dropping their mask mandates. I hope the smart people keep safe.
OM

Florida did that quite some time ago, leaving individual hygiene protocols decisions to... get this, the individuals (and businesses). In doing so, COVID numbers actually went down and common sense compliance with protocols went up. (We live 9 miles from the Florida border, putting my sociology and psychology classes to work, I was able to observe the shift.

Two days ago NPR did a very interesting piece on journalistic and governmental messaging, that, for the first time that I can remember, actually had a journalist admit she probably got it wrong in covering COVID. I heard an encouraging tone in Megan Chactacari’s response to her panel of experts, that were all advocating for less draconian conformity and more targeted, reasonable, and responsible policy and messaging.

It couldn’t come sooner for our club and it’s members. Stay healthy folks, let’s all get together in Montana responsibly this year.

We hit 100 yesterday and overnight they closed all of the schools on the Avalon Peninsula which is where most people live. Todays announcement cannot be good. 28 people in our little region. All I'm doing today is shovelling from yesterdays little snowstorm.

We the people drive the numbers, up or down. Hopefully folks will make the right choices and rein this back in in your local Skibum. Shovel on dude, and keep your head down.
gp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back