• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery- what's out there?

1973r75

Allright lassies and lads, my '96 is overdue for a new battery. Left me flat last fall ride. {never got out] Rather than begin another string about charging rates and which moon phase to replace it, I simply ask: whats the best deal on a new battery these days;somewhere between Walmart and Max's. No offense to Max, yes offense to Walmart. Weekend rider with no plans to go on a long ride and my new job is only 2 miles from home. Your Thoughts?

The Westco battery I got from Beemer Boneyard has performed well for me since I bought it a year and a half ago: $85. Has enough CCA to fire it up on cold Maine winter mornings with summer-weight oil.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/westco12v20p.html

I have no issues with Boneyard, but the Westco 12V20P is available for 79.99 with free shipping from MK Battery (the distributor) on Amazon.

I used these batteries on my 99 Oilhead and was well pleased with the life.

Or, look for a Yuasa or East Penn Product, compatible with the following
https://www.yuasabatteries.com/batt...mw&vehicle_year=1999&vehicle_model=r1100rs-rt

You need to take the long way to work my friend. It'll accomplish a couple of things, charge the battery and burn off internal condensation. :thumb

And, it's pre-CANBus. Just connect the charger to the accessory outlet. I miss those days.

ODYSSEY PC680

I've had this battery in our R1100RT for seven years now and it's never failed me yet,(knock on wood), IMHO, spend a bit more now for ease of mind and a great battery
When your not going to be riding for a spell, as in the winter, then keep it connected to a quality battery tender. I believe thats the secret to long battery life

https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/pc680

ODYSSEY PC680

I've had this battery in our R1100RT for seven years now and it's never failed me yet,(knock on wood), IMHO, spend a bit more now for ease of mind and a great battery
When your not going to be riding for a spell, as in the winter, then keep it connected to a quality battery tender. I believe thats the secret to long battery life

+1 on the battery tender / maintainer comment. MC or Car.

Big thanks

As always, a great boundless bunch of experience is priceless . Thanks for the info guys, final testing begins tomorrow on the battery and starter.

ODYSSEY PC680

+1 Have lots of great experience with this product

yup

The Odyssey has a lot of good history, for the money and what a pain it is to change it, makes good sense. Does anybody know if it needs adapters for connecting?

ODYSSEY PC680

The Odyssey in my K began to loose starting power in its' seventh year. :banghead

In the future my Odysseys will always be changed at the six year mark. My Odysseys are always connected to a battery tender when not on a ride.

The Odyssey has a lot of good history, for the money and what a pain it is to change it, makes good sense. Does anybody know if it needs adapters for connecting?

YES! Adapters are either supplied or can be purchased cheap. However, that's the reason that I resold my PC680 right after I bought it. I was never comfortable with the fit of the battery and cables and the adapters. I prefer a battery that allows for the same fit and cables that are on my R1100RT. My current battery in my RT is YUASA YT-xxxxx-BS that was linked to in an earlier post. Ships dry with an acid pack that plugs into the battery (-BS bottle supplied) and you have an AGM battery that is as fresh as possible. Mine is past the two year mark and has gone through the winter temperatures without an ABS low-voltage error. I only put a smart charger on the battery once a month or so, usually for about 24 hours. I also (just my opinion) don't care for all the "issues" that the PC680 has with the bike's standard charging system. I don't really want to have to modify my alternator or buy specialized chargers just to keep my battery charged up.

I (just my opinion) don't care for all the "issues" that the PC680 has with the bike's standard charging system. I don't really want to have to modify my alternator or buy specialized chargers just to keep my battery charged up.

Both of my Odyesseys are on older BMW chargers when they are not being ridden.

I agree that need for adapters is a nuisance with the Oilhead, but not an insurmountable problem. I fashioned some for my R1100. I don't recall it being an issue for my K100.

Have used Odyssey batteries for 12 years on several bikes including 3 AirHeads and had not used a charger on any of them, until this year.
7 years was the minimum lifespan on 1 of them.

I moto camp regularly year round, along the coast and low desert in winter and at high elevations summertime. Temps have been as low as 25 F (that wasn't fun) so I replace them at 7 years regardless of how they test.

All of the bikes charging systems are stock.

Battery technology evolves and I will probably try a different type battery than agm in my Yamaha the next time I replace it.

Bill

Last edited:
I'm shopping for a new battery... R1150R.

The first Odyssey I installed lasted 7.5 years. The next 2... Barely made it to the 2 year mark, complete failure, unrcoverable both times and left me stranded road side....

Happened today. Called in BMW MOA roadside assist for a tow Not doing Odyssey (pc680) again. Ran it up to AutoZone because it was still within the 2 year warranty... And got a $20 pro rated credit. Nothing in store that would fit... So shopping online for anything but Odyssey that I can have delivered before next weekend.

PS. Always on charger (Odyssey branded) when not in use.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I'm shopping for a new battery... R1150R.

The first Odyssey ......... The next 2... Barely made it to the 2 year mark, complete failure, unrcoverable both times and left me stranded road side....

Happened today. Called in BMW MOA roadside assist for a tow Not doing Odyssey (pc680) again. Ran it up to AutoZone because it was still within the 2 year warranty... And got a $20 pro rated credit. Nothing in store that would fit... So shopping online for anything but Odyssey that I can have delivered before next weekend.

YUASA YT19BL-BS

AGM battery. Ships dry with acid pack so battery is totally fresh.

Last edited:
YUASA YT19BL-BS

AGM battery. Ships dry with acid pack so battery if totally fresh.
Thanks - That's exactly what I ended up ordering last night :)

Amazon has is it kisted for $84... But no option to have in hand before this upcoming weekend so ordered same from local batteries plus (for $20 more) store for pickup in the hope that I have a shot of not losing out a riding weekend... Riding season is way too short in Minnesota [emoji846]

Looks like the decision has been made on the choice of battery, but I will add my thoughts for future readers. I put an Odyssey 680 in my 1100 a few years back. It started it, but seemed to be pretty touchy. It was supposed to have a special charger (which I bought), it had to constantly be on that charger, and I often got the dreaded alternate blinking ABS code when starting it. I finally took it out and put in the Yuasa people have mentioned. Seems to work fine, it was cheaper, and no adapters were needed for hook up. The most interesting part was that before switching, I called my local BMW dealership. They said they only use/sell the Yuasa now, that they had too many problems with the Odyssey batteries. I agreed.

Back