• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine light on brand new R1250RT

cereed0419

Hi All! I’m a new member with my first post. I have a 2 month old 2019 R1250RT with 2,500 miles. Went to start it today and it sputtered and never started. After two seconds of cranking is fired up and the yellow triangle and engine light came on.

I drove it for about ten miles and restarted in multiple times with no problem. Called the BMW mechanic in Jacksonville (60 miles away) I live in Gainesville, and he said it probably was bad fuel, vacuum issue that triggered a hard code error. He said it shouldn’t be a problem if I drive it over one day and he would reset the code.

Since its new I typically go out to the garage to admire it and start it up for a couple of minutes to listen to the engine. Maybe running it for 2 or 3 minutes loaded up the cylinder with fuel? I don’t know.

Has anyone had this problem? Pretty disappointing.

I appreciative your input. Thanks Craig

Welcome! Beemers are great. Have no fear.

Since it's new, if I had the time, I would ride it over to have them look at it but going forward there are two devices you might want to have that you can use to read and clear codes. One is called Motoscan (google it, there are lots of forums posts about it). I use a GS-911 buts it's a lot more expensive. Nice bit of kit but if you don't do any wrenching I'd get the Motoscan just for situations like his. Hell, I do a lot of wrenching on my bike and I should have gotten the Motoscan app...

Since its new I typically go out to the garage to admire it and start it up for a couple of minutes to listen to the engine. Maybe running it for 2 or 3 minutes loaded up the cylinder with fuel? I don’t know.

At some time we have all succumbed to the desire to hear the siren song of a new bike trapped in the garage for the winter, but it’s generally considered best to not start the bike until you are able and ready to ride it long enough to thoroughly heat the engine and fluids. Starting and running for short periods can discharge the battery as well as result in condensation in cylinders, exhaust system and fluids, along with other issues. Your engine light condition might be related to a low battery, but your tech’s suggestion to ride the bike over and have the code cleared is a good one—just make sure it’s a distance that will get things thoroughly heated up. :thumb

Best,
DeVern

Probably not, but you won’t hurt anything by trying. Even if the lights clear on the dash, the fault will have been logged and will be listed as “not currently present” the next time the bike is connected to the dealer service computer. That’s a good thing; more diagnostic info is better than less.

The bike is new, your dealer tech sounds willing to have a look at it, and the bike is still under warranty. Were I you, I’d either ride or trailer the bike to a dealer appointment and have them hook on with their service computer. Another advantage of doing that is you can ask to have them check for any flash updates for the various electronic modules on the bike—those can often improve issues with driveability or function.

It could be worse, you know...you could be in...Fargo this time of year. :)

Best,
DeVern

:thumb Ditto to what DeVern said. And on top of that, it gives you an excuse to take a ride on a new bike.

Enjoy the new bike. You made a good decision.

E.

Thanks guys for all your input. BMW of Jacksonville updated the software and cleared the engine light. They said it was an update out since mid-November to correct error codes that would result from the fuel pump resistance dropping below expected levels. I’ve started it several times and it appears fine now.

Back