• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What is the Hall Effect?

poosu

poosu
I just had the pleasure of having my Hall Effect sensor replaced by the dealer. I see it can be a common problem but I can't find out what it does or what the hall effect is?

I just had the pleasure of having my Hall Effect sensor replaced by the dealer. I see it can be a common problem but I can't find out what it does or what the hall effect is?

Interesting. Before submitting this thread I did a search to find out more and got lots of threads that had little information. Then after I submitted the thread I got have a half dozen "similar threads" listed which were exactly what I was hoping for in my original search.

The Hall Effect sensor is a way of triggering a circuit. As I understand it, a rotating piece moves past a stationary piece and this action creates a current in the stationary piece. The ignition system uses this current to sense when the engine is in a particular position for firing the spark plugs. Here's an article on the Oilhead hall sensor system:

http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service/oilhead_hall_sensors.pdf

Interesting. Before submitting this thread I did a search to find out more and got lots of threads that had little information. Then after I submitted the thread I got have a half dozen "similar threads" listed which were exactly what I was hoping for in my original search.

Those "similar threads" don't show up until something is posted. The items that show up there are something created by the forum software as it extracts key words from various posts. I suppose it might be similar to using the other forum search tools, but generally speaking the in-forum search tools really don't work that well. You might also try using the google site search feature to find additional posts.

You could also try clicking on View Tag Cloud below and typing hall effect in the search box.

The loops in a road are an example. Iron passing through a loop causes a “field” to collapse in which a sensor picks up this minute “pulse”, frequently amplified, which becomes a “trigger”.
IIRC, Honeywell was the developer.
OM

The sensors themselves don't fail, but the insulation on the wires does...particularly on older bikes.

The wiring lives in a very hot area, and breaks down with time. When it does, current can jump from one wire to another, resulting in odd, erratic, or no ignition (and perhaps the FI, too).

One can rebuild them; one of our members does so as a side business.

For more than you might want to know, including some gory pictures of wires with broken-down insulation, read Dana Hagar's article here.

The Daryl Hall effect

26116509-5475-421D-9277-EED5DF2E625A.jpeg

Definition: The need for a BMW rider to extract himself from the house to the garage to turn wrenches and or admire any and all german engineering during cold winter months, when the wife has Hall&Oats songs from the 80’s playing through the Alexa all through the house.

(This is why I don’t offer up mechanical engineering answers on the forums.)

The sensors themselves don't fail, but the insulation on the wires does...particularly on older bikes.

The wiring lives in a very hot area, and breaks down with time. When it does, current can jump from one wire to another, resulting in odd, erratic, or no ignition (and perhaps the FI, too).

One can rebuild them; one of our members does so as a side business.

For more than you might want to know, including some gory pictures of wires with broken-down insulation, read Dana Hagar's article here.

Some more gore

Attachments

• IMGP1652_resize.JPG
    IMGP1652_resize.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Insulation HES_resize.JPG
    Insulation HES_resize.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Randy 1_resize.JPG
    Randy 1_resize.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 131
Back