• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I could be wrong - scam?

motodan

Put some hand protectors on marketplace a while back. Rec'd email asking what my best price would be without the "free" shipping I was offering. I replied $55.00 plus shipping (my original offer was $65.00) So today, I receive this reply,

I have contacted my payroll manager to issue the payment on your name and mail to your address. I have also instructed Bike mechanic to come over to your location for the pickup after payment confirmation at your bank.

Needed Information to issue check payment

Your Name:
Address:
Postal Code:
Cell Phone Number:
Price without Shipping cost:

Awaiting your feedback with the required information to proceed further with necessary arrangement.

Regards

Seems a little too much for a pair of protectors. Assume they would later ask for my account numbers so the "Payroll Manager" can get the money to me.

I wrote back that I would have my Fraud Division Deputy connect them immediately.

And if this is real, I apologize to what had been a potential buyer.

Put some hand protectors on marketplace a while back. Rec'd email asking what my best price would be without the "free" shipping I was offering. I replied $55.00 plus shipping (my original offer was $65.00) So today, I receive this reply,

I have contacted my payroll manager to issue the payment on your name and mail to your address. I have also instructed Bike mechanic to come over to your location for the pickup after payment confirmation at your bank.

Your Name:
Address:
Postal Code:
Cell Phone Number:

Awaiting your feedback with the required information to proceed further with necessary arrangement.

Regards

Seems a little too much for a pair of protectors. Assume they would later ask for my account numbers so the "Payroll Manager" can get the money to me.

I wrote back that I would have my Fraud Division Deputy connect them immediately.

Just read this in Marketplace and that's the guy who reached out on my ad...HE WAS USING THE NAME GRAY ANORD REGARDING MY AD.

"Caution: Someone using the name of Gary Arnold or Gray Anrold or some other combination is contacting several ads. Do not give anyone your private bank account information ever. Please contact us by email at membership@bmwmoa.org or by phone at 864-438-0962 if you want to determine whether someone contacting you is a member or not. Always be cautious with any financial dealings on the internet.
"

Your Name:
Address:
Postal Code:
Cell Phone Number:

Regards

Oh, no it is legit, trust me!:rofl

Got one my own self on a bike I have for sale on the Forum.

Sent By: Nicholas Parry (nicholas_parry@aol.com)

I'm interested in your items listed for sale.Send me more inventory details pictures with your final asking price excluding shipping charges. Do you accept Paypal payment?

Becareful, seems someone may be testing the waters looking for victims.

I was selling a boat and got an email from someone claiming to be from England. Lucky for me the boat I was selling was exactly what they were looking for and they had not even seen any pictures! They were moving onward with the sale, ready to send the amount I was asking, plus a few more thousand dollars for shipping. Just send all my personal information and it was a done deal. I played with them for a while, it was fun.

Just read this in Marketplace and that's the guy who reached out on my ad...HE WAS USING THE NAME GRAY ANORD REGARDING MY AD.

"Caution: Someone using the name of Gary Arnold or Gray Anrold or some other combination is contacting several ads. Do not give anyone your private bank account information ever. Please contact us by email at membership@bmwmoa.org or by phone at 864-438-0962 if you want to determine whether someone contacting you is a member or not. Always be cautious with any financial dealings on the internet.
"

I received 2 emails for 2 different ads.
Here's a copy.
Sent By: Gary Anorld (garyanord361@gmail.com)
I'm interested in your items listed for sale.what's your final asking price excluding shipping charges?

The first one I replied the item had just sold.
The next day I get the same exact email for another ad.
This time I asked several questions and he did not reply back.

The times we live in...:banghead

I once replied to a scammer who pretended to be some princess from I forgot where. I kept "her" going for a while even as I replied as 'Lord Voldemort'.
I guess Harry Potter wasn't popular yet....:lol:lol

Might be a good argument for making the MOA Marketplace available to MOA members ONLY. Either we would have safer transactions or we would increase our Nigerian membership.

:dance:dance:dance

I was selling a boat and got an email from someone claiming to be from England. Lucky for me the boat I was selling was exactly what they were looking for and they had not even seen any pictures! They were moving onward with the sale, ready to send the amount I was asking, plus a few more thousand dollars for shipping. Just send all my personal information and it was a done deal. I played with them for a while, it was fun.

I received 2 emails for 2 different ads.
Here's a copy.
Sent By: Gary Anorld (garyanord361@gmail.com)
I'm interested in your items listed for sale.what's your final asking price excluding shipping charges?

The first one I replied the item had just sold.
The next day I get the same exact email for another ad.
This time I asked several questions and he did not reply back.

The times we live in...:banghead

I once replied to a scammer who pretended to be some princess from I forgot where. I kept "her" going for a while even as I replied as 'Lord Voldemort'.
I guess Harry Potter wasn't popular yet....:lol:lol
FWIW, communications with “scammers” is, IMO, like wandering through a mine field to see if the signs were legitimate.
Bad email addresses populate through your computer and increase the risk of a “bad” recipient connection at a later date.
It’s like when I hear stories of people calling back a number that didn’t leave a message- found through the caller ID system.
There is a good chance that your email or phone number will hit the “verified contact” list.....which probably won’t help.
Good luck.
OM

I don't know how anyone would have to ask if these were real or scams.
I enjoy wasting their time, for days and days. I figure if they make a living with these scams, I can at least save someone by wasting a few hours of their time. It's a fun game when you know that they are the lowest of low scum of the earth types.

FWIW, communications with “scammers” is, IMO, like wandering through a mine field to see if the signs were legitimate.
Bad email addresses populate through your computer and increase the risk of a “bad” recipient connection at a later date.
It’s like when I hear stories of people calling back a number that didn’t leave a message- found through the caller ID system.
There is a good chance that your email or phone number will hit the “verified contact” list.....which probably won’t help.
Good luck.
OM

I didn't know it was a scammer when I replied.
I was not asked for any personal info.

When I sold a K bike a couple years ago, "My Scammer" was working on an oil rig off shore and they had a bad internet connection/no phone. But wanted to know if I would accept Pay Pal and if I didn't have a Pay-Pal account, they would help me set one up. Oh...and a third party would come pick up the bike for them...which they were buying for their brother...:brad

Back