• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What would you like to see at the 2020 Great Falls Rally?

I'd like to see more people :)

I'm roughly half the average age of our current membership. I was introduced to the MOA by a (now) dear friend who invited me to tag along to the 2007 National in West Bend, even though I rode a Honda. So maybe we should all ask some more friends to come along and enjoy all these new ideas!

I'd like to see more people :)

I'm roughly half the average age of our current membership. I was introduced to the MOA by a (now) dear friend who invited me to tag along to the 2007 National in West Bend, even though I rode a Honda. So maybe we should all ask some more friends to come along and enjoy all these new ideas!

Yes, we should. We all must personally do things to help our rally experience continue.

How about a parking area for bikes that are for sale? I’m not suggesting a swap meet type of thing, just a spot you could park and hang a sign on your bike. If someone is looking to buy or sell a bike they would have a place to go.

Back in the day, there was a swap meet area. Did that go away?

Ah yes, the ever futile search for "fairness" raised its ugly head. Certain vendors who paid a fee to be vendors didn't think it was fair that some dude with a tarp and some old parts could peddle stuff without paying the vendor fee. Not to mention the issue of officials demanding that sales tax be collected at the rally and folks needed tax ID numbers. So the powers that be decided that tarps and parts would become a no-no. Thus the detriment to the membership needing to do some old part shopping.

Bikes for sale seems to be another matter. While there has not been to my knowledge a designated spot, every rally finds several bikes parked in conspicuous locations with for sale signs.

Swap Meet

The swap meet area went away because it was being abused. There were some used part "dealers" that got in where the intent was to provide spots for individuals.
Complaints were heard from some vendors who were paying for vending spots whereas the swap meet spots were free!

I just heard that BMW Motorad NA will not be bringing demo bikes this year. That has always been a big draw for rally goers seems short sighted on their part!

I just heard that BMW Motorad NA will not be bringing demo bikes this year. That has always been a big draw for rally goers seems short sighted on their part!

I don't know if this is true. But, last time they said they were not bringing demo bikes the BMW MOA invited Moto Guzzi. As soon as BMW found out they changed their mind and did indeed bring the demo bikes. But so did Moto Guzzi.

I don't know if this is true. But, last time they said they were not bringing demo bikes the BMW MOA invited Moto Guzzi. As soon as BMW found out they changed their mind and did indeed bring the demo bikes. But so did Moto Guzzi.

Moto Guzzi would be perfect and bring Ural on as well.

Having attended Americade in lake George New York for many years I can tell you the many demo teams were always a huge hit . The more the merrier

The swap meet area went away because it was being abused. There were some used part "dealers" that got in where the intent was to provide spots for individuals.
Complaints were heard from some vendors who were paying for vending spots whereas the swap meet spots were free!

Really miss this aspect of the rally. It would be easy to keep known vendors from not paying to vend.

OP Tori is an MOA staff person. Presumably she is following her thread.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I have been following and printing out all of the forum pages. I have been putting together and highlighting a lot of the key points that are being made. I have bringing it up to both my supervisor and the rally chairs, as ideas or suggestions come together.

I do appreciate all the feedback every member has been contributing. I have also been going through some of the past forum posts to see if any of those suggestions have been implemented or reviewed.

Tori

Having attended Americade in lake George New York for many years I can tell you the many demo teams were always a huge hit . The more the merrier

I test rode a K1 in 1991 or so at the Americade Rally in Lake George. Had that sucker up to 137mph. What a hoot.

IIRC, that was the Rhinebeck rally in 1999. Wasn't Triumph there, too?

IIRC, that was the Rhinebeck rally in 1999. Wasn't Triumph there, too?

They might have been. I don't recall the details but do know that as soon as BMWNA knew that other brands would be bringing demo bikes they changed their minds in a hurry.

Events at Nat'l Rally

Tori:

I've been to two Nat'l rallies and a member since 2015. At Lebanon, they had the BMW DEMO truck, and based on the two demo rides I got, I bought two new BMW's in 2019. The demo truck was set up in a place you had to pass daily at the rally and there was always a lineup to demo bikes. The staff were great, and everyone really enjoyed it. The only reason I can think of why BMW Motorrad is not having the Demos at Great Falls is they're sales volume is up past expectations and perhaps they feel they don't need to do it. I don't think I would have bought the bikes if I hadn't had the opportunity to demo them. The demos were the highlight of my Nat'l Rally experience.

BMW bringing the demo fleet to the BMW MOA annual (inter)National rally is a no-brainer. We actually have scant evidence that they don't intend to come. No rally or BMW MOA volunteer or official has said any such thing. The "evidence" is that it isn't found on the calendar on their website.

In my 43 years as a BMW MOA member I have seen tension, conflict, rapproachment, joint venture, and almost everything else in between, between BMW NA or Motorrad USA and the BMW MOA. But every single year they have provided the demo fleet. I expect to see it in Great Falls in 2020.

And certainly in Fargo in 2021. :)

They might have been. I don't recall the details but do know that as soon as BMWNA knew that other brands would be bringing demo bikes they changed their minds in a hurry.

Before that rally, I was excited about replacing the K75c with a spiffy R1100S. At the Demo trailer, I sat on R1100S and fiddled with the controls. A young BMW rep, noticed me and said....."You'll be happier on a R1100RS". I said I like the looks of the R1100S. The BMW rep said....."But, you're a better fit to the RS". Then, he walked away.

That fall, I bought a well discounted 99 R1100RS on some ridiculous no interest lease/balloon payment plan. It fit me pretty well for 17-yrs, but was never as smooth as the K75c.

I believe the only year BMW NA did not bring a demo fleet to the MOA National was the year BMW was the features Marque at AMA Vintage Days and that is where the BMW Demo fleet was in attendance. I believe that was 2004 but not sure of the year. I know they were at Vintage Days as I was there too :)

I believe there was a lot of noise about BMW not attending the MOA Rally in lieu of the Vintage Days event.

I believe the only year BMW NA did not bring a demo fleet to the MOA National was the year BMW was the features Marque at AMA Vintage Days and that is where the BMW Demo fleet was in attendance. I believe that was 2004 but not sure of the year. I know they were at Vintage Days as I was there too :)

I believe there was a lot of noise about BMW not attending the MOA Rally in lieu of the Vintage Days event.

I don't think they were at the "Land of the Loon" rally

Back