• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Convert 12 volts to 5 volts

BILL WALLACE

I would like to find a source for a electronic gizmo which will drop voltage from 12 to 5 volts.I saw one as an aftermarket on a K16 this summer at a rally. It was connected directly to the battery and the gizmo was the size of a relay with a 4ft lead running from it to connect to a device.
Presently i have a converter connected to my SAE 2 pin plug but would like to keep this connection for a heated vest, etc.

What i would like is the gizmo to be connected to my secondary fuse panel so when i turn on the moto, power is supplied to the gizmo. TIA:scratch :scratch

There are several examples available on Amazon, a 12Vdc to 5Vdc converter rated for 3 Amps can be had for under $20.

Bill,

If you connect such a device directly to the battery, it will probably draw current even when nothing is connected to the 5 V side since the voltage conversion circuit runs continuously. If you do install it, check the current draw with everything shut down so you don't wind up with a dead battery.

Bill,

If you connect such a device directly to the battery, it will probably draw current even when nothing is connected to the 5 V side since the voltage conversion circuit runs continuously. If you do install it, check the current draw with everything shut down so you don't wind up with a dead battery.

That's a legitimate concern, and should be checked. But FWIW, I had a cheap USB connection wired directly to the battery for a few years that drew no measurable current unless my phone was plugged in. I checked it several times with three different mA meters, could not measure any current, never saw any reduction in starting power.

What are you powering with it? Tons of 12 volt to USB cables on Amazon. Pretty inexpensive too. I bought one to power a Garmin GPS but it didn't work and found a Garmin cable that worked.

Bill,

When the time comes to make connections, I have a spare switched fuse panel (which I installed with a relay) which I will connect the converter to, so there will be no power to the converter when the RS is turned OFF.

Back