• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cast wheels + rocks

Cycl2day

Cycl2day
Riding back from Ontario to Massachusetts my mind was drifting. I was following a car but unfortunately not in the cages wheel track. In an instant a large rock appeared directly in my path. Hit it with the front. First thought was, hope I don't go down, second thought was of relief and third thought was that there seemed to be no damage. Wrong. Soon thereafter I started slowly losing pressure in the front wheel. I now find a flat spot on the wheel causing a slow leak. The BMW replacement cast wheel is a $1,200 item, Ugh! It's a big item I understand but $1,200 is a lot. Maybe all big parts for a 1200 cost $1,200.

Anyone know of a place to find used wheels - already tried BMW Boneyard........:banghead

I've bought used wheels on eBay and also from rubbersideup.com. Have you thought about filing an insurance claim? When I bent a wheel I got an estimate from a shop for $1800 for the wheel and labor. I had people on the forums advising me that my insurance would go up. Sure enough about 2 years later it when up about $5 a year. I think I did the ok by filing a claim.

Cast wheels

Had not thought about insurance - but that's very interesting, i may give it a try, thanks!

Most of the time those wheels can be repaired for about 1/3 the cost. Had one done a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most of the time those wheels can be repaired for about 1/3 the cost. Had one done a couple of years ago. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Timely topic- I just got back today from Syracuse NY to have one of my VW wheels straightened- Just wheel and tire brought in cost like $130 (20 to remove tire, and tax). They put it back together and balanced it. They also restore, or powdercoat wheels. A replacement wheel runs about 500 plus (tax, mount balance etc)- The bent wheel was a souvineer of a secondary Pennsylvania road pothole- yeah yeah- coulda' happened anywhere but MINE was from a trip to Penna. I live about hour and a half from Syracuse but still worth it for me. Besides, Dinosaur BBQ is in Syracuse! Shop called Rim Doctor did it and apparently that's all they do- largish professional looking outfit. I waited and it was done pretty quickly- with appointment.

I had the same issue when I hit a pot hole in Michigan and bent the rim. The dealer sent the rim out for repairs. That was 4-5 years ago and have not had an issue since. It cost a lot less then the cost of a replacement rim. Good luck and I'm glad to hear you didn't go down.

I've never dented a rim enough to lose air, but several times I've noticed minor bends in the rim. When the bike came back from the shop after its tuneups (during the warranty I took it to a BMW shop), they were gone. It happened more than once.

Back