• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 R1100R Spark plugs

grumpygnome

These are the old ones. I've installed the Bosch, one the manual say should be used.
Any idea what issues I need to look at?

Attachments

• PlugsOld.jpg
    PlugsOld.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 84
I haven't seen those style/brand plugs for a while, (mine were Bosch). I believe I have a set just like it sitting in my parts box. I tried them, as with you, I was following the manual's recommendation. But I then switched to the Autolite plugs that everyone here said worked better. And they seem to. Sorry I can't remember the plug number but someone will add that to this thread. It's the surging that the Autolites do better with. I'm sure the Bosch ignite the fuel just fine.

I've disliked Bosch plugs for a looooong time.... NGK and Autolite always seemed to help the bike run better...

Considering the overall lighting of the photo, yours don't look too bad; if you stick with NGKs, maybe one range hotter? But do an all-around overall tuneup first (valves, throttle body sync, air filter).

Autolites for the 1100 is AP3923; available at any auto parts store (or they'll have 'em for you in 2 days) and they're a bunch cheaper than Bosch. Gap is 0.031"; Always check before installing them, and if they need to be reset, be VERY careful that you don't chip or otherwise damage the center electrode in the process.

Don't get caught in the BMW loop that because it's BMW it must be different.

Google "Spark Plug Analysis" and draw your own conclusions.

Your old spark plugs look fine to me. I actually put NGK in just about all of my engines, be it car, boat, lawn mower, etc. However, I switched to Autolite for my 97 RT, about 30k miles ago and never looked back. Starts and runs smooth as ever.

Back