• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My garage now vs 2 yrs ago

310 GS Mileage and tank range

That’s actually a pretty cool bike. For a few reasons....economy, capacity, carbon footprint and all that. I am curious as to your fuel mileage and tank range. Looks like a capable bike for a 3 or 4 day fishing trip....

The good news is that it seems to be getting better.

I have ridden this everywhere from the highway to deep sand on an ORV trail I maintain. Its happiest between 60 and 70 mph but will cruise at 75.

I have been as low on range as 125 miles and as high as 210. What is nice about the electronics is that it gives you a pretty damn accurate range to out so you can stab the gas station icon on your GPS and not waste too much range filling up early.

For every gallon put into it over 4,425 miles I am at 50.45 mpg. Typically everyone gets better mileage than I do. When they say I get such and such mileage I just smile and think - let me put a tank thru it.

Someone needs to determine how much unused space there is under the tank shroud.

The Germans really amaze me designing in a fuel capacity smaller than many riding lawnmowers.

I really like this bike.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

The Germans really amaze me designing in a fuel capacity smaller than many riding lawnmowers.

That's because some lawns in the US are wider than the typical distance between gas stations in Germany (and most of Central Europe). :lol

And I imagine that some BMW motorcycle 'designers/engineers' may have never seen other parts of the world!(?) :scratch

/Guenther

I took my R90s out last night for a spin to fill it up with non ethanol fuel. Talked to a guy at the pump who was filling up his Harley and he asked about the historic 1974 plate.

He asked what kind of bike it was, and commented that the cylinders looked kinda strange. Then he looked at the odometer (140k) and his jaw dropped. "man, I've only got 12k on my 2004 Road King and I thought I rode alot".

All that matters is that you ride 'em.

RickR90s

[emoji1787] I find that so amusing! Seriously? You should have done the math for him and said...”Let’s see here, your bike is 15 years old and has 12,000 miles on it, so that works out to 800 miles per year. Divide that by 12 months in a year and that works out to ummm....66 miles per month! So tell me Sir, exactly how many miles is the Starbucks from your house?” [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or perhaps they're very good at designing fuel tanks and capacities which reflect the intended use of a specific motorcycle? Sort of like Harley did with the Sportster and what BMW does with the GS-A.

[emoji1787] I find that so amusing! Seriously? You should have done the math for him and said...”Let’s see here, your bike is 15 years old and has 12,000 miles on it, so that works out to 800 miles per year. Divide that by 12 months in a year and that works out to ummm....66 miles per month! So tell me Sir, exactly how many miles is the Starbucks from your house?” [emoji38]/QUOTE]

We're taking about a Harley. They typically congregate around a different kind of drinking establishment.

Just like any brand there are Harley riders that punt on some miles. I know a guy with 368,000 miles on a 2005 Dyna. Another rider that has put on 35,000 miles per year for many years, but trades bikes when they get over 200,000 miles. I ran with a HOG chapter for a few years, we did mileage contests every year. The average miles was around 8,000 a year. As a group we turned in over 1,000,000 miles a couple years with around 120 riders entered. Not too bad when you consider our weather.

I see BMW riders that think a couple thousand a year is a lot of miles too.

Back