• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200RT - Scary Red Triangle with Battery Symbol

So I’m riding along minding my own business when suddenly the red triangle pops up on my display scaring me half to death so I pull over at the dealer who does my oil changes, tires, etc...(not a factory Motorrad dealer) and leave the bike with them. I was scheduled for an oil change and a couple of new Dunlops anyway. In reading up on the symbols, etc... I find this typically indicates charging issues however the dealership tells me the battery checks ok and the charging system checks ok however they cannot hook up to the computer to read the actual codes because they do not have the BMW equipment, etc...

Question:

Is anyone else having this issue and is it worth traveling the 50-60 miles to a factory dealer to have this checked out or is there something I can try at home first? Bike has approx. 120k miles on it.

The very first thing that pops to mind is whether your mechanic has the ability to read error codes. With these computer-controlled bikes looking for codes is absolutely the #1 step when troubleshooting something like that.

Edit: Where are you located? Perhaps you can have someone with a GS-911 come over and scan for codes? There's also some other rig that works via your phone but I don't use one so I don't know the specifics.

I was looking at the GS-911 devices however I am not all that handy when it comes to diy repairs so I am not sure spending $399 would be worth it. If anyone on here is in the Galveston, Texas area and has one I would be glad to kick in some coffee or perhaps a meal to run the diagnostic and save the trip to the dealership.

IF you have an Android device you might consider an OBDLink LX BlueTooth scanner and the appropriate interface cable for your bike, plus the Motoscan App from the Google Play store...much cheaper than a GS911 for your intended purpose,,,

ScanTool OBDLink LX Bluetooth: Professional Grade OBD-II Automotive Scan Tool for Windows and Android - DIY Car and Truck Data and Diagnostics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_D8fiDbTYP0QHG

OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for BMW ICOM D Module Cable 10pin OBD Adapter for BMW,Qiilu Motorcycles Diagnostic Cable Tools Work with BMW ICOM or BMW ICOM A2 A3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075K7MQFC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_o9fiDbHK9QXVC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The End is Near

Tried to ride it to my preferred Motorrad dealer and it died along the way. Thanks to the MOA roadside assistance folks it is in the shop. Looks like the culprit may be a calcified battery of all things. I’ll post the final resolution when they finish putting in a new battery and re-running the system checks. Thanks again for the input and suggestions.

2011 R1200RT Update

After the rescue by MOA Roadside assistance and a trip to a BMW Dealer, the battery had a dead cel and ran down on the road due to a broken alternator belt. Dealer is replacing the battery and the belt and we will be back in action hopefully by the weekend.

Great you are all set.....and it was simple.
Thanks for posting the outcome.
OM

Back