Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Motorcycle Fatality Question

  1. #1
    Registered User DRRAOULDUKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    70

    Motorcycle Fatality Question

    We just found out that a neighbor died this week while circumnavigating Lake Michigan on his dual sport bike. Exacerbating this situation for his distraught widow is having his body transported some 400+ miles for funeral services. Brings me to my question: is there a policy or service anybody offers to cover this contingency? I know if I travel overseas I can purchase a policy that will transport me by plane home or to a US hospital facility in case of a medical emergency. Might be a valuable option for those who do long distance riding.
    Dr. Raoul Duke
    1999 R1100GSA
    1974 R90/6 with Ural Sidecar

    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

    ŌĒōHunter S. Thompson

  2. #2
    Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Lakeland,FL
    Posts
    1,641
    MOA membership offers a discount for this service
    https://medjetassist.com/membership-options

  3. #3
    Also check out Sky Med. Similar but different details. As always - read the fine print.

    These are for medical issues. I don't think either transport bodies.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  4. #4
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,172
    I’m pretty sure you are stuck on this problem. What would make this more complicated is if the deceased was over the border. IRRC, That brings the state department into it and.....
    Best of luck to the family.
    OM

    BTW- I will move this to Campfire later.
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  5. #5
    Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Lakeland,FL
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I don't think either transport bodies.
    At the link provided Medjet coverage states “Transfer of Mortal Remains”

  6. #6
    Registered User amiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Murrells Inlet, S. C.
    Posts
    884

    Transportation of deceased

    I and many of my neighbors are transplants from other places. The typical situation here is that the deceased is to be interred back in their home town city & state. The majority of these cases are handled by cremation with a local ceremony & then the ashes are transported by the family in a container for later disposition at their convenience, not rushed. Yes, cremation is sometimes unacceptable for various reasons & if so, so be it. I can only imagine the costs that would be added to a typical funeral if the deceased in their coffin would need to be shipped (most likely) via the airlines. In addition if the deceased person met his death in a violent manner, an open casket might not be a viable option. Depressing eh? In many cases local law prohibits ambulances & other vehicles tasked with stabilizing & transporting live persons for emergency medical treatment from being used to transport remains.
    Last edited by amiles; 07-04-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: remains

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    At the link provided Medjet coverage states “Transfer of Mortal Remains”
    Wow! Good info. Thanks. And I'm the one who often says, "Read the fine print." Ouch!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  8. #8
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,181
    Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    I and many of my neighbors are transplants from other places. The typical situation here is that the deceased is to be interred back in their home town city & state. The majority of these cases are handled by cremation with a local ceremony & then the ashes are transported by the family in a container for later disposition at their convenience, not rushed. Yes, cremation is sometimes unacceptable for various reasons & if so, so be it. I can only imagine the costs that would be added to a typical funeral if the deceased in their coffin would need to be shipped (most likely) via the airlines. In addition if the deceased person met his death in a violent manner, an open casket might not be a viable option. Depressing eh? In many cases local law prohibits ambulances & other vehicles tasked with stabilizing & transporting live persons for emergency medical treatment from being used to transport remains.
    Years ago an uncle of mine passed away from a medical incident while traveling out of state. His widow essentially had to pay for almost two funerals, as she had to have the remains processed by an undertaker in the state where he passed before they could be shipped to an undertaker in their home state. Yet in another case, an employee where I worked had her mother die of natural causes in another state. The family had the remains placed in a homemade wooden coffin, loaded it into a pickup truck, and drove across state lines on their own for burial in a rural family plot. Every situation can be different in one way or another.

    Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  9. #9
    Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Lakeland,FL
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    And I'm the one who often says, "Read the fine print." Ouch!
    None of us always practice what we preach!

  10. #10
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,289
    When my Mother passed away at the Hospice in Iowa she was cremated and my sister drove the ashes back to New Hampshire.
    When my father passed away at Hospice in Iowa he was cremated and the funeral director mentioned shipping by UPS was a option to get the ashes back to New Hampshire.
    I don't know if you can ship ashes from one country to another.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Similar Threads

  1. Not a fatality if wearing a helmet?
    By OfficerImpersonator in forum Gear
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 08-02-2019, 10:38 PM
  2. Fatality Statistics
    By suttie in forum Commuter's Corner
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 10:39 PM
  3. local daytime motorcycle fatality
    By f14rio in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-12-2011, 06:11 PM
  4. Another fatality.......
    By xp8103 in forum Campfire
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 03:13 AM
  5. A fatality near my home yesterday ...
    By basketcase in forum Campfire
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 07:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •