• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

I don't see much riding for this summer. Borders to neighbouring states and provinces are closed to me and it appears they will remain so for the foreseeable future. With campgrounds, motels and restaurants closed, I will be limited as to how far I can ride from home. Last week I took the insurance off one bike and am seriously considering doing the same to the other one. To date I have yet to suit up for a ride. With luck, maybe a few rides with overnight camping it Ontario.

Like Greg, this year's riding season appears as if it is going to be a wash for me. :banghead

... I'm not going to throw in the towel for the year.
But it would sure be nice if that CN/US Border is open (for tourism) by late summer or September 1st.

That might signal a much better situation with this pandemic.
And "if" the September/October Club Rally's are still operable... allowing you folks to ride to the Finger Lakes gig!
And me, from it... through Ontario and over to the 50th Dells.

At more than 105 days out... one can surely have hope!

Last edited:
But it would sure be nice if that CN/US Border is open (for tourism) by late summer or September 1st.

And "if" the September/October Club Rally's are still operable... allowing you folks to ride to the Finger Lakes gig!

Is there a current date when the border is scheduled to be opened?

As it now stands unless it is commercial or essential services related, not able to cross the border, unless you are willing to go into a 14 day quarantine. That is not likely to change anytime soon and I would be surprised if the border opened for tourist stuff this summer.

As it now stands unless it is commercial or essential services related, not able to cross the border, unless you're willing to go into a 14 day quarantine.

If you're not a citizen of the country you're trying to enter, you need a damn good reason to get across the border travelling either direction. If you're a Canadian travelling into Canada from the US or any other country, there is a mandatory 14 day quarantine upon your return to Canada. I fear that tourism is going to be virtually non-existent this year.

For reference...
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

Is it a pain in the ass? I imagine so. Is it worth the trouble? Absolutely.

Glenlivet and I would have crossed Kansas by now - having played in the Ozarks and Oachitas for a week - and would have reached Taos NM by noon. It's a bitter pill as I'd been planning my retirement ride for years, but the MOA's decision to push Great Falls back one year means the dream is only delayed, not cancelled. It gives us more time to research places to see along our way.

Pete

Given the timetable above, one thing is certain pertaining to this year. Your spring weather through PA, OH & Ky would have been mostly miserable,
but otherwise just un-enjoyable.

We broke low temp records even yesterday (from 1947, near freezing) along the Ohio River valley at the IN/KY/OH region. And the rain has been persistent.

Next Year??? But with more planning... won't you need even another week!

Whether it is November or December, whenever the snow arrives, I park my bikes and change all the fluids. While they sit out the winter in my overly insulated garage (occasionally with some heat), I accept that riding is over for the year. Early March I complete the service on the bikes, re-read David Hough's books and wait impatiently for the snow to melt and get very excited about riding again.

This spring, this unusually cool spring I have a completely different outlook. Because of travel restrictions due to COVID-19, there is no excitement in me about riding. I have the same attitude regarding riding as if the roads were snow covered; long distance riding is just not possible. Of course I may take one short ride to see how some work on the one bike feels and yes I'll keep the insurance on it until at least June in case our province opens up enough to permit me to ride and camp within it.

Currently I am resigned to the fact (being in that dangerous coronaviris age demographic), this year's riding for me will be almost non-existent. (Hope I am wrong, John.)

Agreed, there are a lot of reasons not to open the border any time soon. Even inter provincially most provinces require people to self isolate for 2 weeks upon entering the province even if you live there.

When I go home in 2 weeks from this job I too will be self isolating for the only 2 weeks I'll have off then I go right back to Halifax to isolate for 2 weeks before getting back on the boat I'm working on for 4 week hitches. I've been away from home for 4 weeks now with 2 to go. At home I will not be allowed to leave my property so no rides on anything this summer.

When I go home in 2 weeks from this job I too will be self isolating for the only 2 weeks I'll have off then I go right back to Halifax to isolate for 2 weeks before getting back on the boat I'm working on for 4 week hitches. I've been away from home for 4 weeks now with 2 to go. At home I will not be allowed to leave my property so no rides on anything this summer.

Very unfortunate that you won't be able to ride this summer. Your self-isolation is one of the reasons the provinces where you live and work have such low infection and death rates. :thumb

Is there a current date when the border is scheduled to be opened?

Ottawa, Canada (CNN) — Calling the border with the United States a clear point of "vulnerability" for Canada in terms of Covid-19 infections,
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Tuesday that by mutual agreement, the border will remain closed to nonessential travel... until at least June 21st.
Trudeau did not rule out a further extension of the border closure.
The US-Canada border has been closed since March 21.

2020 great falls in May MOA magazine ???

What im reading in my current MOA magizine the Rally is ON, I wish they would get that stuff organized before publishing.
I was getting ready to go.

What im reading in my current MOA magizine the Rally is ON, I wish they would get that stuff organized before publishing.
I was getting ready to go.

Most print has quite a lead time. If you receive any other monthly magazines, you will probably see the same.
There is a global pandemic being worked on as well.
OM

Ottawa, Canada (CNN) — Calling the border with the United States a clear point of "vulnerability" for Canada in terms of Covid-19 infections,
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Tuesday that by mutual agreement, the border will remain closed to nonessential travel... until at least June 21st.
Trudeau did not rule out a further extension of the border closure.
The US-Canada border has been closed since March 21.

I very much doubt that the Canada/US border will be open this summer. An Ohio friend who for years has been spending the first week of December in Toronto has no plans for his annual visit this year. With the much higher infection rates and deaths in the US, he can not visualize Trudeau opening our border to tourists before 2021; time will tell.

I suspect when the restrictions begin to be lifted there will be 2 camps of folks ... one camp will be those who CAN afford to travel and spend $$ and will have pent up desire to just GO ... and the anther camp will be those who have been out of work, finically impacted by the Virus and who will be hunkering down saving as much as possible and focused on getting their finances back to normal. I tell my wife every day how lucky we are to be recently retired.

... The above is from post #328 about 55 days ago!

This sure has turned out to be true.

Highs in the upper 70s, lows in the mid 50s. Perfect weather in Fargo this weekend.

It looks like rain Friday and Sunday in Great Falls. I hate packing up a wet tent.

Back