• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hose connections to charcoal canister

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
Last fall I had my 2012 GSA serviced by a dealer. It came back stumbling badly at idle...but before the dealer could make it right the snow started falling. And falling. And falling. During my recent sidecar rebuild project I carefully noted where each hose went (even took photos) so I'd know where they went when it came time to reassemble the bike. It's all back together now, but still shaking as badly as a Harley at idle. Full throttle is fine.

What I've noticed is that if I pull the vacuum line off the left cylinder and hold my finger over the male end (that the hose slips over), the bike runs fine. That leads me to suspect that I have a leak in one of those lines...or the dealer got the connections wrong during reassembly after the last service. Can anybody point me to a reference that lists where each of those quarter inch rubber hoses goes so I can verify that it was in fact done correctly?

Pete

May be some differences, but here's a basic sketch of the Oilheads' setup (sorry I forget the source):
cannisterhoses.jpg

Any reason to not just delete it? Wet charcoal granules and vacuum leaks are two good reasons to dump it...

The microfiche actually seems to illustrate it pretty well:
- Tank cap to top middle of canister.
- Top edge of canister to solenoid and then to left throttle body
- bottom of canister to atmosphere

Quite a few threads at the bottom of the page on this. The Tag Cloud has some good info as well.
OM

Back