• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A thank you to David L. Hough

WalterK75

I wanted David to know that I read his Proficient Motorcycling books every spring. It's part of my getting ready to ride again routine. Even more important is that because of his recommendations I have saved myself from difficult situations on several occasions. One was braking and slowing down before a blind S-turn on a two lane highway. This enabled me to avoid an edge trap in the middle of the lane, exactly where I would have put the front wheel. Another time on the same turn this technique enabled me to avoid about a shovel full of gravel on the road. On another highway I noticed a change in the color of the road surface so, as David recommends, I slowed down because the surface conditions might be different. They were. This patch of road at the beginning of the lean in position before a curve was broken up and flaky asphalt.

Just a thank you for making riding safer for a re-entry rider.

Last edited:
And, thanks to David for his Yellowbook on how to ride a sidecar outfit. We recently got our first sidecar and the Yellowbook is a great way to get started correctly.

I also re-read David Hough's books every year in late winter /early spring. Reading his books has on many occasions saved me from being in dangerous situations. Case in point, slowing down on two lane roads while cresting a hill. On one occasion, two dogs occupied the lane just below the hill's crest. Another time a van was parked in my lane, not visible until I reached the hilltop. Once going into an S turn to hot, his advice kicked in. Whenever I ride, his advice is always with me.

When a nephew got a bike, I bought him Dave's books. Often I recommend his writing to less experienced riders.

For me, reading his books has made riding much safer and enjoyable for me! :thumb

When I first got back into riding, it was September 2004. That winter I read every book I could find on motorcycle safety in order to not kill myself (seen too many bike injuries as a kid working in hospitals) and Dave Hough's books stood head and shoulders above all the others.

Last edited:
And "Thank You" to David for his longtime and strong support of continuing safety training and the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. The learning (and practice) never stops.

Friedle

I always tell new riders that learning to ride a motorcycle is a steep learning curve. If they're committed, i.e. they've gotten the endorsement, I loan them my worn copies of Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling.

I recall Voni Glaves also credits David with helping her understand how to ride safely. I vaguely remember her also saying: "Safe Riding is no accident."

Back