• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bmw r45 starting problem

petros-louca

Hello to all i hope everyone is doing well.
I need your help on this one.
A friend of mine recently bought an r45 kick start 1980 and his having problem starting the engine with the start button.. every time his hitting the start button there is a clicking noise coming from the starter area.... he remove the starter and test it on the bench and is working fine .. the battery is brand new as well. any advice on what to check next?

the video is what bike is doing when hitting the start button

That clacking sound certainly sounds like the solenoid on top of the starter is not engaging. I am curious exactly how he is bench testing the starter. He needs to attach a heavy cable to the solenoid lug that doesn't have the wire to the starter motor and then use a small jumper to the connection for the wire coming from the starter switch. If he connects to the big lug on the solenoid with the big wire to the starter motor it will spin fine without the solenoid engaged.

All electrical diagnostics start with a known good, fully charged battery! Your clicking sounds like a weak battery to me.

Check the starter relay

+1. Lay your fingers on it while energizing the circuit to feel if the relay is cycling intermittently. It shouldn't be.

Or simply bypass the relay all together, as a test.

Back