• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1997 R1100RT head gasket leak/replacement

darkmatter

Hey wrench turners

I have put 12K on this bike and now has 53K. I like it a lot but does seem to need this and that more than I would like.

All cleaned up and stripped of fairings etc and I see that the right side head gasket underneath is dripping under pressure and can see the gap. With U tube and these forums I think I can handle it.

I had a moto mechanic do a few things and charge me a bundle a couple months before it blew out on a camping trip. He pointed out that the paint on the upper side cooling fins right side was slightly bubbled. Overheated and I don't know when or why. Fairing plastic on inside near exhaust pipe curve also bubbled some.

Oil always up and regularly changed out etc. Don't ride it hard much. So the questions are: does this right side run hotter usually on these twin oilheads and what would cause one side to be hotter than the other? If I successfully replace the head gasket, etc. what is the chance that I have a warped mating surface or something that will result in another head gasket blowout down the road?

Thanks!

Steve

Hey wrench turners

I have put 12K on this bike and now has 53K. I like it a lot but does seem to need this and that more than I would like.

All cleaned up and stripped of fairings etc and I see that the right side head gasket underneath is dripping under pressure and can see the gap. With U tube and these forums I think I can handle it.

I had a moto mechanic do a few things and charge me a bundle a couple months before it blew out on a camping trip. He pointed out that the paint on the upper side cooling fins right side was slightly bubbled. Overheated and I don't know when or why. Fairing plastic on inside near exhaust pipe curve also bubbled some.

Oil always up and regularly changed out etc. Don't ride it hard much. So the questions are: does this right side run hotter usually on these twin oilheads and what would cause one side to be hotter than the other? If I successfully replace the head gasket, etc. what is the chance that I have a warped mating surface or something that will result in another head gasket blowout down the road?

Thanks!

Steve

Both sides would normally be about the same temperature. But, a prime cause of running hot is a lean mixture. So if one side has a partially clogged fuel injector, or if the throttle bodies are not synchronized then one side can be leaner than the other. Note that the TPS (throttle position sensor) is only on the left side. The computer assumes the right side opens exactly the same amount as the left does, thus flowing the same amount of air and requiring the same amount of fuel. And the oxygen sensor is sampling from both at the same time. If not properly synchronized one cylinder runs rich and the other runs lean and the computer can't tell the difference.

The other thing: start the bike and ride away. There is no need to let it idle for more than 30 seconds, if that. Otherwise, absent airflow things get quite hot quickly around the exhaust pipes.

Hey wrench turners

If I successfully replace the head gasket, etc. what is the chance that I have a warped mating surface or something that will result in another head gasket blowout down the road?

Thanks!

Steve

That is likely not to be an issue. The cylinder is unlikely to warp. Check the head with a good straight edge every which way. Between a straight edge and a feeler gauge you can detect if the head is flat or not.

Hey Paul way down there in Texas

That is very helpful and nicely succinct! I am going to dive in with guidance and take a good look at that right side plug and straight edge the mating surfaces once I get there.

You are so right about how quickly this particular machine warms up and I suppose that full fairing only exacerbates that.

Best from the San Juan Islands in WA state with spring ahead.

Is there a reason for also changing out the left side head gasket at the same time...I certainly would rather not but assume that these are the original 97 gaskets and maybe changed since??

Steve

Last edited:
My RT showed some bubbling on one of the lower fairing sections that are very close to the exhaust pipe. This can happen when you are going through small towns with lots of red lights on hot days and the bike is idling at six bars. You can get some muffler tape from any FLAPS and put some on the fairing such that the heat is reflected back at the engine and stop this from happening.

This assumes all else is well of course and that a lean condition has been addressed if it exists. Plugs tell that tale pretty well usually.

Back