• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Satellite solution for '07 RT? Siriusly...

DoubleH

Hi All,

I'm a recent SiriusXM convert. My '07 RT doesn't have a sound system, my music/GPS is from an iPod/Garmin Zumo respectively, via bluetooth to a Sena 10s.

Is there any solution for satellite radio? I see motorcycle-specific receiver kits but they all seem to connect only via AUX cable.

Appreciate any input.

Howard

Sirius radio

I have a 2010 R1200RT without an audio system. I use the Sirius auto cradle with the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug adapter which is plugged into the bike via a standard two prong s.a.e plug. I use a large office clip on the windshield to attach the magnetic antenna to. I feed it through a Sena system using Bluetooth into earbud speakers. I put the whole thing in a small tankbag I got at Cyclegear. It is completely self contained and can be moved from bike to bike. I just put the whole thing in a larger tankbag or put it on a shelf with velcro. I have been using it like this for about five years and are happy with the way it works. I hope this helps you out.

Last edited:
I use a Sirius/XM Onyx receiver with car kit with a Sena SM10 which "broadcasts" to my Sena 10S headset. I use the Onyx in my shop, in my pickup and on my bike. I can also receive from my iPhone for music and podcasts to my 10S headset without the SM10. It works well for me.
Regards
Ron

Another possible solution is a smart phone and their internet subscription. You can stream SiriusXM directly to your bluetooth headset and there are more channels than are available from the satellite receivers. You will need a big data contract with your provider. In the same vein, there's Pandora, Iheart Radio, Amazon Music, etc.

Thanks, good suggestions. I've since learned that there is a bluetooth cradle that's supposed be available starting next month (https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/bluetooth-siriusxm-radio-vehicle-dock/), which I suppose could be used instead of the SM10, which is a bit pricey for what it does, or at least for how I would need it.

@44135, which receiver do you use, and with it in the tank bag do you just not change the channel while riding?

@chappie01, how do you mount the Onyx on your bike? It's not waterproof right?

Thanks much!

Sirius radio

I have the Onyx receiver. I usually leave it on one channel while moving ,because the buttons are too small to use with gloves on.

Mine is mounted with a RAM mount. I must say though that vfroger's solution is one I had not thought about and I signed up for streaming service today and tried it out on my walk with my iPhone and bluetooth headset. I think I'm going to eliminate the Onyx receiver and go with the streaming service. It's only an additional $5 a month and will eliminate some clutter. I can switch easily between music, podcasts and XM radio with my iPhone and Sena 10S headset. And you are correct the Onyx is not waterproof. My wife made me a waterproof bag with a clear front for riding in the rain. I try to avoid wet riding!
Kudos to vfroger!!

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind, if you stream through a cell phone there is not cell service every where so you will lose the connection in areas with no cell service. If you use a Sirius satellite receiver you will get reception everywhere.

I have been running a Roady 2 receiver for years, and as long as I keep them dry they work fine. I have gone through 3 receivers in 14 years.

Consider a marine receiver

My 2012 RT has the BMW sound system which frankly is a bit of a pig in my opinion. If I had it to do over again with a bike and no sound system I would explore/consider a marine receiver. They are not very expensive, weatherproof, have USB inputs and play digital media with Bluetooth streaming. Many have remotes too. Integrating it would be a tricky matter depending on the unit. Lots for sale on Amazon if you search for marine audio receivers. Output would require another Bluetooth transmitter as these only provide for inbound Bluetooth, like from your phone. With the right unit you could get most of what you want in a bike sound system, but you'd have to do your research.

Back