• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Testing Different Motorcycle Air Filters

drneo66

I see that BestRest Products did some very thorough testing on six different types of air filters. (BMW, Hiflow, Mahle, Guglatech Wet/Dry, K&N, and Uni Wet). As always, Dave from BestRest Products is informational, but keeps it light and fun :laugh

My takeaway was that the inexpensive filters that I purchase from Beemerboneyard (Mahle) do very well for my on-street application. If I was going to go for some medium-distance off-road rides, I could still get away with a paper filter or a dry Guglatech. If I was going to go long distance off-road riding, it'd be better off using an oiled Guglatech, having the proper cleaner/oils to renew it as needed. YMMV!

Only skimmed through it but I recall reading an analysis somewhere that found that good old paper filters stay more consistent in their airflow over their lifespan than cleanable types.

If you are using a whole can of K&N oil to treat 1 filter (any average motorcycle filter?) then you are using WAY TOO MUCH oil !

If you are plugging your more expensive dry ? (unoiled filter ?) against a filter (K&N) that was not treated with oil per instructions, then it ruined the objectivity in my opinion.

Thanks drneo66 for “cutting to the chase”.

Charlie

My BMW bikes all use OEM filters. Our Yamaha and Kawasaki dirt bikes used oiled filters. I think the reasons are obvious. Street riding allows the OEM filter to last a very long time with an occasional remove, bang on the work bench and reinstall. A little gentle use of an air hose can also work wonders.

On the other hand dirt bikes are intended to operate in a totally different environment and periodic cleaning and oiling makes sense. YMMV

If you are using a whole can of K&N oil to treat 1 filter (any average motorcycle filter?) then you are using WAY TOO MUCH oil !

Charlie

I don't think he used an entire can on one filter - the video shows him spraying each filter at minute ~10:30, unless I missed something??

Yes drneo66 you are correct. I was wrong.

I went back and watched the review again and the reviewer did not imply that you needed a can of oil for each treatment as I had thought.

Oops again,

Charlie

I always appreciate someone who learns and grows.

Dave is back with another video after talking with the former head of research/development at K&N. Interesting!

Back