• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank bag repair

Update!

I reached Linda at Custom TankBags on her 800 number 866-304-2138 and asked about my bag. She confirmed that she had it (still in shipping box) and that she was definitely running behind lately but got the feeling that she could use another pair of hands to lighten the load being a one woman show. In any case she committed to repairing my R1200RT Tankbag by the end of April (2019). I will be calling her in 30 days if she does not contact me first. Here is hoping I see my bag before my first major trip this summer.

That is great news Ken. I'm still trying to source a #8 YKK Vislon zipper somewhere near Vancouver to fix mine. So far I found one but it is down in Bellingham or Lynden Washington which is a very long way to go for a zipper!
I was told by the biggest sewing store downtown that size is used in a LOT of European jackets etc but not so much in North America which might explain why there is no stock anywhere.

I found those a while back but it seems anything longer than 36" they only sell #10 size.
The BMW system tank bag for the 1100RT zipper is 39.5 inches so I would need a 40" or longer.

Seems to be unobtanium. All I need to fix it is the #8 retaining box where the zipper starts but that part is not sold seperately. The repair kits contain a metal tab you bend over as a stop spot but this does not work on a YKK that was made with a retaining box.

You would think this was easy but it seems the only way to fix this is to replace the whole zipper which is just under 40" long or find one similar that you can carefully pry the retainer box off of and then hope to crimp and glue it on your busted one.

I want the exact same zipper because it fits the lid which holds the map top cover and also connects to the expander compartment. The all use the same zipper so you can switch to small bag mode or large bag mode, with map cover mode or no map cover mode.

Change the bottom zipper to something else, nothing will fit. It's been a right PIA to be honest. No sewing shops in town have or can get them. Luggage places I called do not seem to have a solution or access to the zipper I need. :scratch

Update!

I reached Linda at Custom TankBags on her 800 number 866-304-2138 and asked about my bag. She confirmed that she had it (still in shipping box) and that she was definitely running behind lately but got the feeling that she could use another pair of hands to lighten the load being a one woman show. In any case she committed to repairing my R1200RT Tankbag by the end of April (2019). I will be calling her in 30 days if she does not contact me first. Here is hoping I see my bag before my first major trip this summer.

Well here it is now September (2019) and Linda did not call and no Tankbag has been returned. I would rather have it back if I could as it was by far my favourite farkle and the OEM price was dear. I shall now be looking for something to replace it but I doubt anything else will be near as convenient.

Back