• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

rebuilding rear shocks

brant914

Hi everyone, I've been gone for the summer (car racing season you see)
but with winter approaching, I'm finally getting back to work on the restoration of my 1971 R75/5

todays question is about the stock rear shocks.

They are old...
I'm still inclined to keep them as they are original
can they be taken apart for cleaning
can the springs be removed (for cleaning or replacement springs)
can they be rebuilt?

thanks for input
I realize replacement may be the easiest route
and I may need to go that way instead
although I would want to keep the stock appearance on any replacement items
and don't know how "original" replacements will look (should of asked this question also)

thanks in advance
brant

I don't believe the originals are rebuildable. Most people order the ikon vintage ones that have the covers so they look correct.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Max BMW lists a non-rebuildable replacement rear shock hydraulic unit and springs for the /5. Your stock shocks must be disassembled to replace the parts which while not particularly difficult does require a shock compressor to get the top shock mount off (easily). You would spend around $225.00 each to keep the look and dampening stock and retain the aluminum cover. It should be noted that all 4 rubber/steel inserts in the shock upper and lower mounts should be replaced too at $35.00 each for another $140.00. The same $590.00 to rebuild 2 shocks with OEM parts will buy any one pair of a half dozen much better shocks several of which may be made to spec and rebuilt, shock and all, when required - for way less than $600.00. One maker, Ikon as noted earlier, offers a shock with the aluminum cover as original. Your /5 needs the suspension components, wheel bearings, swing arm and steering bearings to be in top shape to get a satisfactory ride and handling.

Back