• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Foot Peg Broke off! 1996 R1100GS Left Peg BMW Pt# 46 71 2 314 245

PabloLobo

( Well it was a good place to post this, thanks for all the help)

I have one on order !!!

----- Original message follows --------
Not sure if this is the best place to post this request.

What happened:
I was having fun crossing the James River in central Texas and slipped on the scum. I though only my pride was hurt, but as I rode away my left foot hit the pavement. Lots of people crossed the creek along with about 20 cars, so I didn't have a chance to retrieve the parts. But the issue was that two ears that hold the peg on broke, so I need some parts or recommendations on repairs.​

Possible Solutions:
  • I could buy a new part, Ouch! $
  • Anyone or shop parting out a '96 GS ( I don't know what other bikes use this same part, but I believe there are some.)
  • Anyone have experience with welding repairs? ( Build up new ears and drill new holes )

Paul Lupa
Austin TX
Break.PNG

Last edited:
It is a GS. GS riders sometimes stand on the pegs. Even though welding can sometimes be as strong or stronger than the original part I still would never stand on a footpeg that has had its mounting tabs welded. Call me a coward, or careful.

Even little crashes can be expensive. I would buy the part. Used if possible: new if not.

If you can live without the bike for awhile you could place a want to buy ad in the MOA Member Marketplace.
http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/?tabid=137

Looks like it was a bad week for left foot pegs, another member has a wanted ad for a left foot peg.

Have you checked Beemerboneyard?

Welcome to the forum.

Edit:
I checked BeemerBoneyard and they don't have one.
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/footpegs1.html

I did notice the ones he sold show the same part for R1100/1150/1200GS

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Paul:wave

You are not the only victim of that crossing on the James River. Consider yourself lucky it wasn't worse...the smaller bike crowd enjoys watching carnage out there with bigger bikes.

I went and looked and the set I had are not in my pile anymore. A search on EBay often will turn one up, but getting rarer. RubberSideUp is a large parts recycler.
Hate to echo the sentiments mentioned, but I would not repair one either and sometimes playing is costly, $260 is cheap compared to a few I have helped repair!
That part is exclusive to 11xx models and ones from a 1100R will fit, but seems the peg location is different.

Try putting the part number into a search on eBay motors. There are a lot of bike breakers and salvage sellers on there and there is a chance that someone will have one.

Found one!

Thanks for the support!

So I had been searching using the part number as written in the parts book, and didn't find one, but an email to Beemer Boneyard was replied pointing me to one on a Great Britain Ebay, but not exactly what I needed. But what I *DID* need was the idea to search without the spaces in the part number, and with that little tidbit I found a bunch of them. A German Ebay got me to Motorrad-Technik Maaß who had one. I don't think I'll have it in time for Roll the Bones... :(

I agree with PGlaves, a welded repair was not going to give me a warm feeling.

Cheers,
PLupa

but I would not repair one either and sometimes playing is costly, $260 is cheap compared to a few I have helped repair!
That part is exclusive to 11xx models and ones from a 1100R will fit, but seems the peg location is different.

I was guessing he broke the foot peg, not the foot peg plate.
I see now he pointed at the plate.

Well I lucked out...

I was guessing he broke the foot peg, not the foot peg plate.
I see now he pointed at the plate.

Well along with the ears broken on the plate, I lost the peg and hardware, but when I bought this GS ~5 years ago. The previous owner had replaced the stock pegs with some nice Touratech ones. The stock ones were in a box-o-crap that came with the bike. So even if the James River claims the nice peg, I have some stock ones.

Good news on the quick find.

If the James River ever dries out, scores of parts may surface...sorry:doh

Back