• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Top box or duffel?

i use both. The top box for my helmet, gloves etc and when touring a duffle for sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc). Maybe I am not very trusting but I like to have my helmet and jacket locked up out of sight when I am not with my bike. If I lose some camping gear it's inconvenient, but not going to ruin my trip, a lost helmet and jacket on the other hand ....

Debating between purchasing a top box or the duffel from Wolfman.
Thoughts?

Yeah, a few thoughts: What bike is this for? What do you intend to put in either the duffle or top case? How big of a top case? And is this for day rides or longer trips?

If this trip planning: Years ago while on a K75S I used one duffel for "housing" (tent, chair, etc) and separate waterproof bag for sleeping items. On my last trip to Alaska (R1200R) my tent fit in a GIVI E55 top case along with misc other; the sleeping gear went in separate waterproof bag strapped to the seat. The point is keep your house separate from sleeping.

And all this depends on what you want to do.

What do you want to use it for? Camping gear? Day rides?

/Guenther

Going away for the first long weekend touring trip. I am not the tent kind of camping guy, so we will be staying over in motels / hotels. Currently my helmet fits in the left side pannier and thought I could put all my clothes, etc. in the duffle and take into the hotel in the evenings.

Personal preference

I have used both a top case and a Wolfman dry bag. The top case allows easy access to items were a dry bag requires some effort to get into. Either does the trick. It is just comes down to a matter of convenience and security.

Going away for the first long weekend touring trip. I am not the tent kind of camping guy, so we will be staying over in motels / hotels. Currently my helmet fits in the left side pannier and thought I could put all my clothes, etc. in the duffel and take into the hotel in the evenings.

Since it's cheaper I would start with a duffel and see how it works for you. If you decide to buy a top box latter you can still use the duffel on the rear seat.
Ortlieb makes good quality bags.
https://thetouringstore.com/thetouringstore/ortlieb/ortlieb-rack-pack-dry-bags-2/

Do you have pannier liners now? They are helpful for carrying your stuff into the motel.

Another option is the BMW Softbag 3 Small.
http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/prod...s-small-softbag-bmw-r1150gs-77498549323-p-511
Both of us use this bag on our bikes for things we want to get at during the day, like gloves, electric jacket liner, ect.

20180427_143108.jpg

Last edited:
I have always used duffels, including a Wolfman in bright yellow, and have eschewed topcases as being just too much luggage. After renting a bike in Europe for three weeks I have changed my thinking and will be mounting a topcase on my K13GT here at home. The topcase was invaluable as a secure spot to stash helmet and riding gear when heading off to historical or tourist locations after checking into a hotel, and was also appreciated as a much more convenient place to stash cold or wet weather gear while traveling. Tents, sleeping gear, camp chairs and such have shrunk over the decades to require much less packing room and a 46L or larger topcase will pretty well swallow most of that gear on a camping trip. Turn the key, press the button, and the topcase pops off for those more sporting excursions. So, I’m sold on the topcase—but my GS bikes will probably still be depending upon duffels. There are no absolutes here...

Best,
DG

Two duffel bags on my wethead GS. The Vario cases don't hold all that much, especially the right side case.

Yeah duffel pops off pretty easy. In my case I keep tent etc in the duffel and the kitchen is in the top box. Not what you're up to. That is an Orlieb one but Touratech now sells Orlieb moto bags. Mosko Moto has a really nice roll top duffel that is double ended to allow easy access from both ends but again may not be what you're after.
https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Touratech-Waterproof-Adventure-Dry-Bag
https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-luggage/products/backcountry-30l-duffle-pack
IMG_0070-S.jpg

emja,

you said "we", so I assume you are two-up with two helmets. Personally I take the helmet with me or, when it looks safe I'll keep it with the bike.

When travelling with my wife, each of us got one side bag. All the 'other' stuff went into a dry duffel bag. We always carried the side cases and the duffel bag into the hotel room.

/Guenther

All of my bikes have side cases and a top box. Voni's have side bags but no top box. I keep what most folks keep in a tank bag in my top box(es). Plus a laptop computer that can be locked in the weather proof container. If we are camping or sometimes camping then our camping gear goes in dry bags across the passenger seats, and the tent goes on Voni's tail rack where a top box would be if she used a top box. Cooking stuff goes in a side bag. Tools and bike equipment - air pump, plug kit, booster battery, etc also go in a side bag with some riding gear (pants). My normal clothes and kit bag are in my tankbag which serves as my suitcase. Extra cold weather stuff goes in the camping gear dry bag or a small Helen Two Wheels roll top duffel.

Last edited:
Lee and others have provided good advice.

If determine at some point you are going to be using that storage regularly going forward, then it would be beneficial to get a top box, otherwise, it is a lot of money for something that you may not want going forward.

Personally, my top-box is my most used storage.

I use Kathy's Liners https://kathysmotorcyclebags.com/product-category/bmw/, but there are plenty of other good ones available. These are great for organizing and transporting your luggage both on the bike and off. I wouldn't travel without them.

One suggestion, for your gear that might be used during roadside stops, such as tools, rain gear, etc., if you place these items in your right-side pannier (curbside) than you won't be sticking yourself out in traffic getting at your rain gear etc. My left-side pannier carries what I will be using when I park for the evening, away from traffic. The top box is great for items I want to get at quickly, safely, and easily, such as second pair of gloves, ball cap, deck shoes, tire gauge, etc., etc.

Enjoy your trip.

As you see, lots of suggestions from lots of riders. I noticed that many riders started out with duffels and ended up with top box. I went the other way: put a top box on my first cross-country ride and used it tons over the years. But … I never grew to like the look of that big ol' bulbous thing sticking up and out. So I went to a duffle (actually, several of various sizes depending on the load). A duffle is more useful and it is not there, visually, when I don't use it.

Part of this issue for me is that I have progressively bought smaller and smaller bikes each time I trade. I am now on a pretty small bike and a top box, IMO, looks out of proportion on it. Plus, I am a minimalist packer/traveler and I seldom even put anything in the side cases.

Good luck.

Back