• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to forum, and BMW. Auxiliary lighting question

ptarmiganboy

Hello all. I’ve tried searching online but no luck on my question.
I bought my first BMW a few weeks ago. 2015 RT which is excellent so far but I have a lot to learn. I’m coming off a 650 VSTROM.
I have auxiliary ‘driving lights’ mounted to the forward crash bars, which I assume were installed by the dealer when the bike was originally purchased. They seem to be always on, and I like them as conspicuity lighting but, there’s no switch anywhere, and they are very bright.
Is there any way to control these lights? On, off, brightness level etc?
Thanks for any insight into this, I’m sure I’ll have more questions in the future.

I would start with determining which brand they are and how they are interfaced with the can bus, assuming they are. You could then search the OEM and get instructions for controlling them. I run Clearwater lights which are controlled by their programmable "CANopener". Denali uses CANsmart, so on and so forth. Search HEX easyCan for a non light specific controller and explanation.

Mine are adjusted to the lowest brightness, always on, but bump the high beam switch or horn button and they go full bright. I've forgotten how to change the program, it isn't exactly intuitive....

Apparently not. I do not have button #1, or any control of the lights that I can find.
It’s not a big deal. I’m still learning the basics of this bike. I’ve noticed I get more respect from traffic that wants to cross my path (compared to my Strom). I’m assuming it’s the extra lighting.
Thanks for the replies.

Good idea, thanks.
Any insights on these lights would be appreciated.

Attachments

• D7CA4A20-AEF7-4045-92AC-EA623884D3AF.jpg
    D7CA4A20-AEF7-4045-92AC-EA623884D3AF.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 157
Yeah that looks a possibility. Is there a method to controlling your lights (through the existing RT switchgear etc) or are they just always ‘on’.

Thanks patm
That’s all I really need to know at this point. I didn’t want to be riding around with these lights full ablaze all the time like an idiot, and not know there was some way to control them.
I don’t ride at night unless I get caught out very occasionally. Hopefully people won’t find them blinding if I am out after dark.

Back