• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Extra canbus connector

brookscooper

Touratech says newer canbus bikes have an unused canbus port in the "front of your motorcycle." Mine is a 2018 r1200gs adventure. Has anyone located that port on this bike? Trying to avoid exploratory disassembly

Touratech says newer canbus bikes have an unused canbus port in the "front of your motorcycle." Mine is a 2018 r1200gs adventure. Has anyone located that port on this bike? Trying to avoid exploratory disassembly
My '14 R1200GS ADV has an unused port up behind my horn. I was wondering what it might be for?

unused port

My 2017 R1200 GS seems to have an unused port near the horn too. Touratech indicates it can be used for a GPS, but I have the BMW Navigator (garmin) so I do not need too. I want to attach a deceleration modulated brake light border. I have the VOLOlight on my 1977R100 wired directly to the taillight. But I am reluctant to do this on my R1200. I worry doing so will compromise the CAN bus. Attaching it tag border at the front of the MC seems a bit awkward, but if it would work without, I am happy to run the wires. Any ideas?

If you're looking for a connector to provide power for something like a GPS, the connector in question has nothing to do with the CAN bus. CAN provides data, not electrical power. Applying 12-volts on a CAN bus would probably fry every connected control unit. Touratech's description is very poorly written.

If you're looking for a connector to provide power for something like a GPS, the connector in question has nothing to do with the CAN bus. CAN provides data, not electrical power. Applying 12-volts on a CAN bus would probably fry every connected control unit. Touratech's description is very poorly written.

Well you are kind of right, but not anywhere near completely right. Take the Horn Circuit on my R1200GS Adv. There are two wires going to the Horn, those wires carry battery voltage when the horn is activated. When the Horn Button is pressed the circuit is closed which sends a signal to the ECU to blow the horn, also using battery voltage, the ECU then sends the appropriate voltage to the Horn. If the ECU doesn't see the appropriate resistance in that circuit (too much or too little) it will set a fault code. Lights work the same way. So, the Canbus certainly handles battery voltage and appropriate current loads for the accessory being operated.

This link http://BMW Motorrad Canbus explained provides a much more comprehensive explanation if you are interested.

I still wonder what the "Extra" connector on the right side behind my beak is for. It isn't GPS as I hav a factory Installed Nav V GPS Prep and fully functional Nav V unit installed.

Except the horn button provides a ground, not 12 Volts, to the ZFE, not the ECU. The ZFE then provides 12 Volts to the horn. None of this requires signals sent over the CAN. The light circuits work the same way. The ZFE is simply a power distribution module. It may get CAN data commanding it to activate certain features, but only in very specific cases. The m-Unit by motogadget is a good example of a power distribution module that doesn't use CAN. CAN data signals are typically less than 5 Volts, although they can be higher in some industrial applications.

Extra-canbus-connector

As others have said, the so called extra canbus port is extra only if the Nav 5 or 6 cradle is not connected. That plug has three wires--red, black that provides 12V and a third purple wire for data. The white unused plug up by the horn has two wires. That is an extra port for switched 12VDC, and would need to be mated up with a complimentary 2 wire connecting plug or 3 wire connecting plug where one wire is not used.

A splendid example of the ongoing confusion that has resulted from owners and vendors alike referring to ZFE-managed electrics as "CANbus". It has become so ingrained now that it is impossible to correct.

Back