• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R90/6 wind shield

willyb

I removed the fairing on my R90 but would like to install a small wind shield that would look good also with out going to the S model fairing.
Any suggestions whoud be appreciated. The naked bike is nice but would like a little more wind protection as the weather turns cooler.

I have a '74 R90/6. I've pretty much ran every type/style of handle bar windshield they make. Had some success with all of them. They all seem to have deficits. Most didn't really fit right or look good on the bike. The best windshield was the BMW oem windshield set for standard Airheads, starting in '74.
IMG_1051.jpg
IMG_1052.jpg
Discontinued, but find a used one. Best windshield for this bike.

There is a Windshield and Fairing section in the link in my signature line.

National Plexi-Fairing III
Great shield!

Effective weather protection without buffeting.
Mounts are easily adjusted for angle/height
Pops on or off in about 30 seconds without tools for hot weather or cleaning

Used one for for two years on my CB400T, then trimmed it to fit my Yamaha 650 Seca (my "Japanese BMW"). Looked like new after 28 years.

When I bought my '06 RT, I was pleased to see that National Cycle made the shield for BMW.
Seca dressed by Larry Kraus, on Flickr

I am also a fan of the National Cycle Deflector. Tinted one looks great on a bike.

IMG_20180806_115747.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180704_060653.jpg
    IMG_20180704_060653.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 129
Oem Airhead Windshield

These shields fit standard Airheads from '74 till the end of the run, twin shock and monolever. Not the paralever models per se. Any thing can be made to fit anything.
IMG_2589.jpg

Two crown nuts hold the shield in place. Remove the two nuts, then the shield and you have a naked bike. Works with both Euro and USA bars. The shield can also be trimmed down to a smaller size if so desired. Personally, I like the size of the stock shield as is; I'm tall.:thumb No fuss, no muss. :)

Could you supply the national cycle deflector part number thats on the bike shown. Think I'd like the look of it on my R90/6. Thanks

This is the URL.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/deflectorscreen-hd.html

The Deflector comes in clear or tinted, and there is also a choice of mounting brackets, both with regards to the material and handle bar diameter. On my R80, which has "S" bars, there was only room for the metal brackets. On my KTM Duke 390, there was a bit more space and I went with the more easily adjusted "Quick Set" polycarbonate brackets. If you have the space, I would recommend the "Quick Set" brackets.

I adjusted the shields so that the front surface more or less vertically aligns with my line of sight. The bottom of the screen is not an especially tight fit to the headlamp on either bike, but this doesn't affect function. These are small shields, but they block enough wind to allow fast riding and they prevent most buffeting. For about $120, they are a bargain.

Couldn't have said it better. You won't be disappointed.

This is the URL.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/deflectorscreen-hd.html

The Deflector comes in clear or tinted, and there is also a choice of mounting brackets, both with regards to the material and handle bar diameter. On my R80, which has "S" bars, there was only room for the metal brackets. On my KTM Duke 390, there was a bit more space and I went with the more easily adjusted "Quick Set" polycarbonate brackets. If you have the space, I would recommend the "Quick Set" brackets.

I adjusted the shields so that the front surface more or less vertically aligns with my line of sight. The bottom of the screen is not an especially tight fit to the headlamp on either bike, but this doesn't affect function. These are small shields, but they block enough wind to allow fast riding and they prevent most buffeting. For about $120, they are a bargain.

Back