• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'17 RT .....Good Vibrations?

sufferin_boothead

Sufferin Boothead
I find that my RT with 4 k has vibrations that over a day's riding will numb my hands. My 05 RT never had this. Any suggestions? Bar ends? Illium Bar backs?
Does it need more time to break in? Is this common with the wethead? Great bike otherwise.

I have a 2017 RT, no vibrations, no tingling even after a day on the bike. It sounds to me like something’s wrong.

I'd suggest that you try to ride another RTW to see if it has less vibration at/through the bars, or the same.
  • If it has less, then you know the issue is with your bike and not your anatomy, and you then need to see what is the difference/problem.
  • If it is about the same, then you know that is simply how your body interfaces with the RTW and you need to make adjustments to the bike to help make it comfortable for you.

+1 on Jay's suggestion of trying GripBuddies (the originals), and OM's of checking/adjusting your tire pressure.

I don't have an issue with unwanted or excessive vibration, but I've found that I prefer the larger circumference grip provided using Grip Buddies and that they do insulate some of the vibration. Bar-end weights can also help but that takes some work to identify which ones will work best at reducing the vibrations or changing the frequency for your specific needs.

No problems with my '17 either.

henrion2.jpg

I'd suggest that you try to ride another RTW to see if it has less vibration at/through the bars, or the same.
  • If it has less, then you know the issue is with your bike and not your anatomy, and you then need to see what is the difference/problem.
  • If it is about the same, then you know that is simply how your body interfaces with the RTW and you need to make adjustments to the bike to help make it comfortable for you.

+1 on Jay's suggestion of trying GripBuddies (the originals), and OM's of checking/adjusting your tire pressure.

I don't have an issue with unwanted or excessive vibration, but I've found that I prefer the larger circumference grip provided using Grip Buddies and that they do insulate some of the vibration. Bar-end weights can also help but that takes some work to identify which ones will work best at reducing the vibrations or changing the frequency for your specific needs.

same for me, '16 r1200rt

My 2016 has less vibration than my 2005 did (even after putting a BoosterPlug on the 2005).

I would ride another wethead RT and compare. Is it all the time or only when the revs are low?

Does the bike always start right up on the first push of the starter button? I'm wondering if extra vibration could be a sign of the cam timing being in need of adjustment. People have mentioned starting issues with that, but I don't recall them saying anything about additional vibrations. I'm just thinking of possible causes...

Yes definitely test ride another '17 or other wethead. What sort of RPMs do you find yourself maintaining when not under load? When riding more aggressively what rpm do you find yourself upshifting typically? You get a certain kind of vibration at different RPM so there may be some relief there. Also, what is your own grip pressure? It was on a ride thru Tail o' the Dragon that I finally realized I was really gripping hard, but did not need hardly any grip pressure but instead need balanced inputs from each hand. Once this epiphany happened the bike became a total dream to ride fast thru the twisties.

If after you've checked out problems w/ your bike I can heartily recommend the addition of grip puppies or similar, AND the HVMP 17oz bar end weights which will dampen the amplitude of bar vibrations by maybe 25-35% which over the long haul was worth it for me. I love the vibration quality on my '16 RTW. I will tell you now w/ 35K miles the bike just gets better and better over time.

I find that my RT with 4 k has vibrations that over a day's riding will numb my hands. My 05 RT never had this. Any suggestions? Bar ends? Illium Bar backs?
Does it need more time to break in? Is this common with the wethead? Great bike otherwise.

Add gloves to your list of possible causes. I have a pair that will numb my fingers if I pull them too tight before fastening the wrist strap.

I came to my ‘17 RT from a ‘14 FJR. No comparison regarding bar vibrations — the RT is much better. I do use Grip Puppies, but also did on my FJR. I add my endorsement to the idea of riding another RTW for a direct comparison.

I came to my ‘17 RT from a ‘14 FJR. No comparison regarding bar vibrations — the RT is much better. I do use Grip Puppies, but also did on my FJR. I add my endorsement to the idea of riding another RTW for a direct comparison.

Wow that was completely unexpected, vibrations worse on a recent FJR which maybe was Gen 2? When I had my choice down to '16 FJR-ES v '16 RT I honestly did not pay attention to vibrations from FJR, but my gestalt was it was essentially turbine smooth. I took 3 test rides on each bike and settled on RT.

My 15 has a little vibration, right hand tingles after a couple hours. Bike has grip puppies and bar risers
My next step is insert a couple ounces of lead shot (4) into each bar end and see if things smooth out
Will keep you all posted

Jim

Back