• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Illium Works Risers on a 2018 R1200RT

Wunderlich solution

I had the Ilium bar backs installed on my 2018 RT. Does anyone know what I need to order from RAM Mount to install the mount on the Ilium bar risers?

Wunderlich makes an adapter for their proprietary accessory mounting system. It can be repurposed to mount a RAM ball. The good news is that the adapter is cheap, $29, and it replaces the mounting bolt that attaches the handgrip to the handlebar. Multipod Adapter

So, having purchased the Wunderlich adapter, all you need is the RAM ball like this one

Wunderlich makes an adapter for their proprietary accessory mounting system. It can be repurposed to mount a RAM ball. The good news is that the adapter is cheap, $29, and it replaces the mounting bolt that attaches the handgrip to the handlebar. Multipod Adapter

So, having purchased the Wunderlich adapter, all you need is the RAM ball like this one

I don't think that the Wunderlich Adapter is compatable with the Ilium Riser System. The bolt that the ball head will attach to indexes on the flat surface of the long nut that's on the inner section of the threaded shaft. That flat surface mates to the flat surface, deep inside the standard handle bar set up.

InkedWunderlich Adapter_LI.jpg

But the Ilium Risers are fastened with a conical head bolt that indexes on the base of the head. That base is not only not flat, but it's at the very outer end of the Riser.

InkedIlium Bar Back_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Beemerdood...do you know if this will clear the brake fluid reservoir if mounted to the Ilium riser?

I think it will Ragman, but before I could get to it, I was side lined by an surgery, so I can't say for sure. Sorry but it's going to be a couple of week's recuperation before I can get back to it.

Better be good!

So, on the strength of the comments on this thread, I have ordered the Illium risers and rental tool. Ironically, on a recent afternoon ride I noticed the reach on my 2016 RT and was primed for something that would let me lean a little less forward! My dealer has the tool and would loan it but he is about an hour away and a double trip there is not that interesting- even for free use of the tool!I hate this "the season is almost over" feeling I get every year in upstate NY!!!39 degrees this morning!

Ilium Works Risers and Ram Mount

I installed the Ilium risers on my 2018 RT and rented their installation tool. Got the job done with no issues at all. I also installed the u-bolt Ram mount and I use it for my phone. Works great! I have an extra set of mirrors as well and I have noticed no issues with my view of the stock mirrors. The Ilium risers have been wonderful and made a huge difference for me. I have three fused vertebrae in my neck and the forward lean on the factory setup was just enough to really give me discomfort after an hour or so of riding. The addition of the Ilium risers allows me to have a more upright posture and I no longer experience the fatigue and soreness. :thumb

!I hate this "the season is almost over" feeling I get every year in upstate NY!!!39 degrees this morning!

I used to live year-'round in Wisconsin and would share your hatred of winter. Now I live in Tucson, AZ, and the best riding season is just now beginning! The highs are dropping into the 70s and 80s. Sunny and gorgeous! But I understand your feeling and used to share it.

Just an FYI for non-US riders for whom shipping the rental tool is expensive:

You don’t need the tool to remove the handlebars. After removing the hand grip retaining bolt, replace it with a longer 10mm bolt (about 5” or 6” long, so it protrudes 3” when fully seated).
I used a little heat (very little) and several firm taps on the bolt head with a hammer. Don’t rush it, just persist with steady sharp blows, straight down on the bolt and eventually you’ll push it out. Loosen the bolt slightly before you push the handgrip all the way out (otherwise it will be difficult to back off from it’s fully seated position).
Also use care care toward the end of this process, so you don’t ram the bolt head into the handlebars. That will mark them up.
I did this today, and then ordered the bar backs from Ilium. Hope I don’t need the tool for installation :)

R1200RT Risers

Can someone tell me why the Illum Risers are a better choice than the Helibars? I may be needed a set and always that the Helibars were a good choice.

Thanks.

Steve

I bet most will say the price difference is why they went with the Illium ones.

Well after I made that last post, I watched the install video for the Illium risers and discovered how easy they are to install! You don't need to removed all the bits on your bar ends and re-install them on the new ones like with the Helibars. I'm just not sure I like the look of the Illium risers better.

I have the HeliBars on my K1600 GTL, and had no issues installing them. They can be installed by unscrewing 3 bolds per side. With the proper tools it is not required to take anything else apart. It is recommended using a big/thick blanked to protect the fuel tank when the bars are loose. The riser bars can be done side by side and the job should not take much more than 30-40 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I preferred the Ilium risers for two reasons, Price was obviously one reason but the other being the Heli-bars widen the handlebars and in my experience making the bars wider you must lean a bit more forward to make the reach and that offsets the advantage you get by moving the grips up and back.

Well after I made that last post, I watched the install video for the Illium risers and discovered how easy they are to install! You don't need to removed all the bits on your bar ends and re-install them on the new ones like with the Helibars. I'm just not sure I like the look of the Illium risers better.
Once there on you get use to them plus you can install ram mounts on them

Back