• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Frustrated

Living in Greensboro, I have used the service team at Carolina BMW for several years. I have found them to be fair, forthright, and good to work with. A few weeks ago I was at the shop having new tires installed, and noted that they were loaded with an unusual amount of work, even given the season. The few techs are swamped I think. And, in the winter, they are wishing for work, so as a business it is hard to add more techs given the seasonal nature of demand.

I would suggest calling them back or even go visit rather than going up the chain of BMW complaint paths. Give them a fair second chance to make it right. You may be happier with the long term outcome. Good luck!

Living in Greensboro, I have used the service team at Carolina BMW for several years. I have found them to be fair, forthright, and good to work with. A few weeks ago I was at the shop having new tires installed, and noted that they were loaded with an unusual amount of work, even given the season. The few techs are swamped I think. And, in the winter, they are wishing for work, so as a business it is hard to add more techs given the seasonal nature of demand.

I would suggest calling them back or even go visit rather than going up the chain of BMW complaint paths. Give them a fair second chance to make it right. You may be happier with the long term outcome. Good luck!

I have been using Carolina BMW since 2005 and have never had a bit of trouble getting work done. Always satisfied with end the result, but the work I needed done was in the off season, not quite so busy.

Yes... I would tend to agree with HoldFast... they are slammed during peak riding season. Personally I would give them the benefit of the doubt, they're probably jammed pack with work. Definitely give the service manager (Joe Crowder) a call and inquire about your bike. Per their website they only have one other tech besides Joe.

But you can certainly pack it up, drive around for a few hours and haul it over to Raleigh, Charlotte or Asheville. Ultimately the choice is yours....

Dave

After three and a half weeks, I'd ask for the material and get my torque wrench out. I say this especially since the ultimate decision maker tends not to be there and it seems obvious they can't even provide an estimated date of completion. If a shop runs four weeks or so behind for bolt torquing, the owner needs to find additional staff to handle the work. A two week turn around seems more feasible for both shop and customer.

Last edited:
It isn't just the torque. The header must come off to remove the oil pan. I know Joe well. I talked to him before I made the appointment. It was made a week and a half ahead of time as per his request. At least some one should have called to tell me there were going to be delays. Since the owner has gone AWOL most of the time no one is there to take care of these issues. I have taken some of my business elsewhere. I just purchased a new helmet, communication system, and new summer riding gear. I don't want to burn bridges until after I ship my RT to CA in August since they are the contact point for the shipper. Sad to see the down turn of this business. I know of others who have switched brands because of the dysfunction going on at the shop.

I know of others who have switched brands because of the dysfunction going on at the shop.[/QUOTE said:
I find that amazing! I had no idea that this is the only BMW dealer in the state or is it in the country.

There are three others, Asheville, Raleigh and Charlotte. I don't know about Charlotte but the other shops sell multiple brands. If they were going to another town why not try a different brand. The local Triumph dealer has profited from the dysfunction at the BMW shop. Some have gone to Indian and Harley, all local dealerships. There are a lot of good motorcycles being made today. Why subjective yourself to substandard customer service just for brand loyalty.

...Why [subject] yourself to substandard customer service just for brand loyalty?

To which I would pair the question, "Why does BMW subject loyal customers to poor dealerships?" I'd be interested in learning which most often happens: BMW revoking or not renewing a franchise contract due to customer complaints, or, the franchise failing on its own when fed up customers migrate to another dealership or marque. Probably hard to say since so many BMW dealers sell multiple brands. One thing I am fairly sure of, and others have also observed, the quality of a dealership nearly always reflects the interest, investment, and personal time spent on premises of the owner(s).

To which I would pair the question, "Why does BMW subject loyal customers to poor dealerships?" I'd be interested in learning which most often happens: BMW revoking or not renewing a franchise contract due to customer complaints, or, the franchise failing on its own when fed up customers migrate to another dealership or marque. Probably hard to say since so many BMW dealers sell multiple brands. One thing I am fairly sure of, and others have also observed, the quality of a dealership nearly always reflects the interest, investment, and personal time spent on premises of the owner(s).

You may know that state franchise laws are very strong ... you've noticed there are no online sales?

In my town we had what was eventually the 2nd longest in existence BMW motorcycle dealer in the USA ... a dealer you wouldn't trust to do an oil change correctly. They finally sold out and now we have a dealer not bettered by any in the country. Comes to those who wait I guess.

Anyway, logistics lines are long and it's my observation over the years USA offices of German companies are often not too effective, Mercedes possibly worse than BMW. Friend bought an R1200R (Wethead) when they were first new and the first service required a steering bearing check ... but the special tool required was not available from BMW. Traded it in on the spot.

Friend bought an R1200R (Wethead) when they were first new and the first service required a steering bearing check ... but the special tool required was not available from BMW. Traded it in on the spot.

Well he took it in the shorts on that deal I'd bet.

Back