• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Error code 800EA8 on 2015 R1200GS

txtinman

Ride on!
My 2015 R1200GS will not start and shows error code 800EA8 with my GS911. My search on the GS911 forum and on Google did not find this code.

When I tried to start my bike today it turned over a few times but would not start. I tried it again but it would not turn over. The indicator on the dash showed a key symbol with a question mark. I thought it was a key fob related issue so I tried my spare fob but that did not work either. A strange thing happened when I stopped pressing the start button. The tachometer needle started swinging to the 9000 rpm mark and back to zero a few times and then pegged out and stopped. While this was going on the aux lights were blinking. I've never seen them blink before. This behavior was repeatable. I tried using the plastic emergency key but no joy there either.

I forgot to add. This error is related to the body controller (XBCO 0F8A00). Whatever that is. The written error states "Coding error (implausible transaction data)

So, anyone here have an idea about what is wrong and what I can do?

Mike

If you are lucky, it is a bad connection somewhere in the wiring. If you are not lucky, it is a bad control module. I would also try a different battery or at least monitor the battery voltage during the engine start attempt to see if it is maintaining a minimum voltage. If still an issue after checking those items, it is time to visit your dealer for a more thorough diagnostic with their computer equipment.

I think the battery might be the problem. It measures 11.8 when I hit the starter button. Guess I'll replace it. I've just a few days until the rally. Thanks for the suggestions.

I got a battery from Batteries Plus. Their part number crossed with the part number of my oem battery. The specs were similar so I got it. It started the bike just fine and if I get 48000 miles out of it like the oem I'll be happy.

I still don't know what that error code was for. I'm going to hook up the GS911 this week end and see if it returns. If not, I'll clear it and start over.

I still don't know what that error code was for. I'm going to hook up the GS911 this week end and see if it returns. If not, I'll clear it and start over.

The same physical control module (instrument cluster, ZFE, etc.) may be used in several different variants of the motorcycle, the only differences being the software installed. To make sure they all play together nicely, each of these modules is given a variant code. The same codes are programmed into the ECU and are checked at power up. If the code in a particular module doesn't match the code in the ECU, that module is declared invalid. Low battery power can sometimes play havoc with the CAN communication, resulting in invalid data on the bus, and possible variant coding faults.

Back