• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Questions about Skene P3 lights wiring

kevinsclo

Trying to wire my Skene P3 lights to the 2017 RT license plate bracket. Any suggestion or pics on how to run the wire as concealing and elegantly as possible?

On my 2012 RT, I could easily run the wire under the gaps of the rear light assembly with the wire poking through the little hole right behind the license plate. With the 2017 (or any water cooled RT I suspect), the rear wheel wheel appears to be tight with no obvious holes or gaps.

I welcome suggestions and pics.

Last edited:
Kevin - I've installed Skene P3 lights on my now-former 2008 RT and on my 2015 RT. On the latter bike, I don't recall exactly how I routed the wires to the right place. That said, I think I drilled some very small holes through the plastic fender and routed them up to a power source. I'll take a look tomorrow (5/30), make some photos and post or send them.

John Gamel

Kevin, I have Skene P3 on my 17 RT. I drilled a small hole behind the license plate (green arrow shows approx position) and ran both wires through that hole and up towards the rear seat. I secured the wires to the underside of the mudguard using Gorilla Tape (not perfect, but so far it has held fine for a few thousand miles). II got the wires from under the mudguard up into the area under the rear seat where my HexEZCan is by threading them through the plastic where the red arrow is. If you look closely, you can see the wire (covered in electrical tap). I did not have to remove any of the plastic to thread the wire through there, as I recall it was an easy task to push the wire through and grab it from above.
Hope this helps.

Skene.jpg

I secured the wires to the underside of the mudguard using Gorilla Tape (not perfect, but so far it has held fine for a few thousand miles).

Excellent tips TMAC! I was also wondering about the best way to manage the wire. I have considered using Shoe-Goo or something like that...

Kevin
I also drilled a small hole in back of license frame and same for bottom tray under rack
Enclosed the wires in shrink tubing and used a dob of Black silicone sealant to fill around the holes
No issues in 10’000 miles
If you haven’t already purchased your P3 lights, take a look at Clearwater lights “Billie brake light” along with there CANopener version 1.82 a more expensive option, but in my estimation a better product, and I’ve installed over a dozen sets of Jerry’s P3 lights without any issues

Jim

Enclosed the wires in shrink tubing and used a dob of Black silicone sealant to fill around the holes

Thanks Jim. I like the shrink tube idea. However, how did you stick it to the wheel well?

I’m actually transplanting the P3 lights from my 2012 (sold) to my current ride. Also looked at the Clearwater, but I read that the lights are not as bright as the P3s...

Kevin
I didn’t need too the the hole in the bottom tray or shelf is almost vertical from the license bracket, I used a piece of coat hanger wire to snake the P3 lights power wires forward, by the way my lights had previously lived on a 1200gs and a 1600gt
Jerry has a quality product that lasts along time

Excellent tips TMAC! I was also wondering about the best way to manage the wire. I have considered using Shoe-Goo or something like that...

Kevin - I just used some Gorilla Tape (aka fancy duct tape), but I like the shoe goo idea - that may work better in the long run.

Back