• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Memorial Day 2018

8ninety8

Before eating the hot dog this week end, hang yer flag, visit the cemetery, bow the head in reverence for the now over million citizens who gave it up for others. Just sayin, two cents. Godspeed.

My thoughts this time of year are made more significant by remembering a soldier in my unit who was KIA in Iraq. I struck up a long lasting coorespondence with his mother who sends me notes throughout the year, but especially at this time. It brings home that the sense of loss never fades for the mom's, dad's, wives and children of the fallen. RIP SSG David Douthit, gunner Cavalry Fighting Vehicle, Scout Platoon, 1-34 Armor, 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division.

Before eating the hot dog this week end, hang yer flag, visit the cemetery, bow the head in reverence for the now over million citizens who gave it up for others.

I recently viewed a YouTube link of the 10 Oct 2017 Arlington internment with full military honors of 2nd Lt George Bussa, USMC, KIA at Tarawa 20 Nov 1943. His remains, along with others recently recovered and identified, have been returned home, seventy four years later. Memorial Day is about sacrifice remembered. But I wonder, in a country where today less than 1% serve in uniform, how sacrifice never known will continue to be "remembered." I suppose we may only hope it will be, with pride, respect and reverence.

Bussa Marker.jpg

Last edited:
For those having family and friends over for a cookout. Set up a card table with chair, table cloth, plate, silver ware, and a cold beer or whatever drink you chose. Put a RESERVED sign on it. When someone asks what it's for.

Tell them "That is in remembrance for those that didn't come back"

For those having family and friends over for a cookout. Set up a card table with chair, table cloth, plate, silver ware, and a cold beer or whatever drink you chose. Put a RESERVED sign on it. When someone asks what it's for.

Tell them "That is in remembrance for those that didn't come back"

Perfect! :usa

This is the weekend to reflect and remember everyone that have given everything for our Freedoms. Please remember our fallen but also say Thank You to those that defend it today.

This is the weekend to reflect and remember everyone that have given everything for our Freedoms. Please remember our fallen but also say Thank You to those that defend it today.

Words so true. :thumb

This past Thursday, my son (a Staff Sgt. trained in 'Honor Detail') participated in a ceremony at Ft. Carson (CO Springs), adding two more names to the plaques commemorating those who have been lost among troops at that base. Two soldiers assigned to the Special Forces Unit attached to the 4th Inf. Div. there recently made the ultimate sacrifice, bringing Ft. Carson's Honor Roll to 399 since the 1st Gulf War.

Standing at attention while a widow and two young sons stood crying punctuates the meaning of this weekend.

May they rest in a peace that has eluded this world since the dawn of mankind. :violin

My Dad's big wish was that his children would see the end of veterans, unfortunately, that hasn't happened.

I know I'm late for Memorial Day sentiments, however thanks to all who served, and my sympathies to the family and friends of those who never came home.........Rod.

Back