• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT iPhone splitter Electronics

ramble

ohbeemer
Looking for a source for the right hand compartment cable connection BNC/3.5mm to lightening connector. Is there an economical source. The goal is to bluetooth to Sena Helmet from onboard radio system and my music on iPhone.

I have a 2018 RT and had to purchase the $80 cable from BMW to connect my iPhone as desired by the OP. Alas, BMW has sized the compartment on the right side (with the cable) for a smaller sized iPhone, not the iPhone Plus.

The music from my iPhone bluetoothed directly to me sounded very good. When using the BMW RT bluetooth, via the Alpine audio system, the sound quality was very poor.

I have been researching fixes and posted my findings in the K1600 section of this forum (which is where a bluetooth question arose). Link follows -

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?92034-beat-the-dead-horse-Blues-with-Blue-tooth

This is a Sena helmet? Doesn't it take two Bluetooth inputs?

thanks, It is a Shoei helmet and I have on order the latest Sena system, so trying to get a handle on the setup and pairing before arrival and questioning whether I need the splitter cable . P in OH

thanks, It is a Shoei helmet and I have on order the latest Sena system, so trying to get a handle on the setup and pairing before arrival and questioning whether I need the splitter cable . P in OH

I’m still struggling....
Sena 20s evo + iPhone + garmin nav vi + BMW onboard radio

Sigh.

I’m still struggling....
Sena 20s evo + iPhone + garmin nav vi + BMW onboard radio

Sigh.

Kevin - Not 100% sure, but I think form your post you are having troubles with the setup you list. I have exactly the same and have made it work 99% of the time with the following setup:

BMW to Sena as "Sena Phone 1" (this takes care of the BMW audio (sat radio etc)
Garmin Nav VI to Sena as "Sena Phone 2" (this takes care of nav directions (although they will also come through the BMW to Sena connection if you don't make this Garmin to Sena connection), this also takes care of phone calls and music form the iPhone
iPhone to Garmin (for streaming music and phone calls as well as well as traffic and weather data from the Garmin Smartlink app on iPhone)

I found it works best if you power on the Sena before powering on the bike. The only issue that pops up now and again is that the Garmin to Sena connection does not successfully connect for the Music channel (there are 3 "channels" from Garmin to Sena - Phone, Data, and Music). Every now and again the music connection reports "failed", but if I go back into Bluetooth setup in the Garmin for the Sena connection, I am able to select the Music channel again and it successfully connects.

Hope this helps.

I found it works best if you power on the Sena before powering on the bike.
Hope this helps.

Hmmm. Perhaps that is the trick. I have bene turning on the Sena after the bike is "booted" up and often I have to manually disconnect the BT connection between my iPhone and the Sena unit. I will definitely try to turn on the Sena prior. Thx!!!

My issue is trying to conduct calls: while the Garmin would show that the call is in progress, but many times I have a hard time hearing or conducting the call over the Sena...

Back