• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RS to GS

shootersteve77

Hi everyone. I’m looking for opinions from anyone one who went from the new R1200RS to a R1200GS. I’ve been riding my RS for about two years and really looking at a GS for a bit more upright riding position. I would definitely want the low frame version. What would you quantify as the differences? Is it more comfy for long rides? Handling differences etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve

Yes, I'm planning on doing that if I can. I agree that's the best way to do it. But also looking for long term feedback. I know from experience that it can take months of riding before you really start to feel what you like or don't like about a bike.

I looked at the new RS but decided on a GS instead. I found the seating position better, the suspension "better", (more travel and an ESA front shock), and the bars and windshield better. I have the low suspension model, but with the standard seat and I just love the bike. 600 mile days are no issue, extreme lean angles are no issue, and I find it more comfortable than my 2007 RT was. Best of luck with your decision.

I can't speak for the RS but had similar bikes as fas as riding position or posture is concerned in my younger days. I am on my second GS and find them to be way more comfortable being able to sit more upright and having more room. I did make two "ergonomic" changes by installing Moose foot pegs and 25mm Hornig handle bar risers; I am 6'2" and those changes made both my 2008 and now 2013 GS a perfect fit.

The GS is definitely a tall bike (but you make adjustments or buy one with the low suspension if needed) but will lean and handle like a sports bike, especially if you put some street oriented tires on. Mine currently has Heidenau K60's and it still corners fairly well but I already bought a different set of tires (kind of hate to remove tires with only about 2K miles on them).

Like other say, drive a GS for a day or so and see how you like it.

Thank you for the feedback. I was able to take a short demo ride on a GS a few weeks ago when the BMW demo truck was at a dealer. The ride was short and they put me on a standard GS and I could only manage my tip toes on the ground. That alone made it very uncomfortable for me. I'll have to try a much longer ride before I can make a decision. I have sat on a few low suspension GS's at my dealer and they feel much better.

Yes, I'm planning on doing that if I can. I agree that's the best way to do it. But also looking for long term feedback. I know from experience that it can take months of riding before you really start to feel what you like or don't like about a bike.

Before I bought my GS I had short test rides on an RT and a GS. I found the RT to be significantly less comfortable because the riding position required me to bend my knees farther. So I bought the GS and have been happy with it - over 20k so far. Only comfort mods so far are a taller windshield and a Sargent seat, which is an improvement over the stock seat.

I can flat foot a GS with the seat in the high position. It sounds like you may have the opposite problem. An extended test ride on a lowered GS is a great excuse to go ride somewhere fun for a day or two. :)

Cheers, Ken

I have a wethead GSA low and love it. Traded from an RT (not RS). Transmissions are the same but the GS final drive is lower so you'll have higher RPMs for any given speed. If you ride by speed, it'll be thirstier. If you ride by RPM it'll slow you down, which suited me fine. The GSA with OEM panniers is as aerodynamic as a barn door, so that plus the lower final drive means it's about 5% thirstier than my RT. Over the last 90,000 miles I've averaged 45.25 mpg (that's odometer miles divided by pump gallons. The onboard computer is about 3% optimistic)

I have a wethead GSA low and love it. Traded from an RT (not RS). Transmissions are the same but the GS final drive is lower so you'll have higher RPMs for any given speed. If you ride by speed, it'll be thirstier. If you ride by RPM it'll slow you down, which suited me fine. The GSA with OEM panniers is as aerodynamic as a barn door, so that plus the lower final drive means it's about 5% thirstier than my RT. Over the last 90,000 miles I've averaged 45.25 mpg (that's odometer miles divided by pump gallons. The onboard computer is about 3% optimistic)

I was wondering about the final drive ratio. So it revs a bit higher as I suspected. I don't mind the gas milage hit and judging by the miles that GS riders rack up by the tens of thousands, it's obviously not impacting cruising comfort :)

Yes, the low frame is a must for me. Not crazy about the huge square panniers, but it's part of the look of the bike, which I think is very cool. I really want the comfort of the RT, but I like the purposeful look of the GS better. Interesting that some find the GS more comfortable than the RT.

I was wondering about the final drive ratio. So it revs a bit higher as I suspected. I don't mind the gas milage hit and judging by the miles that GS riders rack up by the tens of thousands, it's obviously not impacting cruising comfort :)

Yes, the low frame is a must for me. Not crazy about the huge square panniers, but it's part of the look of the bike, which I think is very cool. I really want the comfort of the RT, but I like the purposeful look of the GS better. Interesting that some find the GS more comfortable than the RT.

You can always take the paniers off if you don't use them. It will also getting on/off the bike much easier.

You can always take the paniers off if you don't use them. It will also getting on/off the bike much easier.

Well, I'm a pack rat and always seem to have at least one of them filled with, rain gear, flat tire kit, first aid kit, phone charger, etc etc etc... the other side gets my helmet when parked, and let's not forget living in South Florida a dry towel and t-shirt are a nice thing to have after the inevitable downpour in the summer.

Not crazy about the huge square panniers, .

The hot dog boxes look better in black.

5-9-2018-9-37-59-PM-3899438.jpg

Back