• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200GS/LC 2013 Shock replacement question

hpope@me.com

I have a 2013 52,000 miles I need to replace the shocks. Can you please give me your opinion of shocks that you would recommend.

Thank you in advance

Welcome to the forum! I don't have any specific advice, but there are a couple of threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen...might be a starting point.

I would call Ted Porter out in California. He runs a BMW repair and parts business. Just google him, he’ll pop up. He can recommend exactly what you need based on your budget, style of riding, and so forth. I have used him twice. I bought Wilbur ESA replacements for an RT and then a set of Traxxion (I think I spelled that right) for a GS, but they weren’t ESA so that feature was no longer useable on my GS I had at the time. But the beautiful thing about those shocks was that although they weren’t ESA, all I had to do was turn a knob on the rear shock to adjust for the load I was carrying and I could do that in an infinite manner. ESA gives three settings only and is sprung for a lightweight rider. Those shocks I bought were sprung for me and there was an infinite number of adjustments.

Ted or Jeff are really competent in what they do and they won’t steer you wrong. I just wouldn’t buy OEM replacements if I were you. You can do much better with aftermarket shocks which is what Ted will recommend.

Once my bike has 25K or so, I’m going to upgrade my suspension with Touratech ESA shocks. The best pair I could get will set me back about $4K but it’s worth it to me as I plan on keeping this bike for a long time, at least for now. I will buy them from Ted and he will make sure they are sprung right and set up for my height and weight. He can replace them at his shop if you coordinate in advance. Great excuse to ride out to Cali and you’ll feel the difference the moment you get back on the bike.

Back