• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

/5 with Flanders 22mm Low Sidecar Handlebars, pictures anyone?

nurburgrun

Does anybody have some pictures of their /5 with Flanders low sidecar handlebars mounted?
Interested to see how they look installed.

Benchmark Works

You, perhaps, need to call and discover these fellas:

http://benchmarkworks.com/

These guys are some of the best folks to talk with and REALLY DISCUSS your needs for the older "Airheads". They have original parts and cables for you and can provide information as to the "how to" that you will run into..........Good luck

I don't think they are actually the "sidecar" bar (31" wide), but they are Flanders "Euro", with short cables.

Rear.jpg

Mine.jpg

1.jpg

Those bars shown above are the low "euro" bars. Sidecar bars are MUCH wider for the leverage needed to steer a sidecar easier.

Friedle

Friedle

Those bars shown above are the low "euro" bars. Sidecar bars are MUCH wider for the leverage needed to steer a sidecar easier.
lmo1131

I don't think they are actually the "sidecar" bar (31" wide), but they are Flanders "Euro", with short cables.

Just so nurburgrun is clear on this... you DO NOT want the sidecar bar on the /5, unless of course you're going to run with a sidecar. "Sidecar" bar is 27" wide (not 31" as I stated previously).

It's called a "flat" bar (what is known as a "drag bar") but it isn't actually flat, there is 2.5" rise. Drag bars actually are flat, with only two bends.

SRC47835921.gif

B20: Chrome Flanders BMW Flat Sidecar Bar

Height: 2.5"
Pullback: 2.75"
Center: 4"
Width: 27"
Diameter: 22mm to fit BMW Controls

If you are looking for a truly flat bar, Flanders offers a 22" wide "R100S" bar in 22mm.
Note: the part number (F23) in the photo above, does not coincide with the part number in the text
SRC65004031.gif

E22: Flanders BMW R100S Bar

Degree of Bend: 30 degrees
Pullback: 5"
Center: 6.5"
Width: 22"
Diameter: 22mm for BMW controls

There will be a quiz at the end of the period.

Just so nurburgrun is clear on this... you DO NOT want the sidecar bar on the /5, unless of course you're going to run with a sidecar. "Sidecar" bar is 27" wide (not 31" as I stated previously).

Thanks Lew, very detailed info. Beautiful bike!!
I am not a fan of the current US buckhorns that are installed on my /5.
I rode an R60/2 with euro bar, but found them too narrow, so I thought the sidecar bars would be perfect, as they would have the extra width/leverage that I prefer?
Just curious what the drawback is of running the sidecar bars, without a sidecar mounted?

Last edited:
I install Feilings on an the /2, /5 and 6's

If your looking for comfort, looks and a little cool factor take a look or give the Feiling /2 Repops that Vech (Bench mark) sells. I couldn't and didn't ride my R 90/6 for a while mainly because of the goofy OEM (US) handle bars on it. I got a set of the Feiling /2 knock offs and can't peel my stinky old but off the bike now. Good price, nice bars an Ergonomics work good for me so it it might be worth a try for others.

Thanks Zeff, I'll check those out. I was talking to Vech via email last week.
Sounds like the way to go. Got a picture of them installed by chance? What’s the width of those /2 bars?

Last edited:
Just curious what the drawback is of running the sidecar bars, without a sidecar mounted?

Just the extra width. And looks-wise, a bit on the wide side. They're referred to as "sidecar" because the extra width provides more leverage to steer a rig.

Back