• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bean Can installation?

stevenrankin

I am upgrading my ignition system on my 84 R80RT with a Alpha V.3 system from Motorrad Elektrik.
A very simple thing to do however, no so in my case.
For some strange reason, I cannot get the new bean can to line up with the cam end and fit flush on the mounts. I can see the cam end slot, line up the bean can slot and then when I put the can into the hole, it only goes so far then stops. It is not seated properly in the mounting.
Is it possible the new o ring is holding up things? I tried light oil on it to no avail. I know I can see the slots are lined up with the chuck on the bean can.
It is driving me crazy, anyone else experience this or is it just my personal gremlin? St.

It is possible but not likely. If you think that is so you might try a light smear of grease or assembly lube on the o-ring instead of light oil. You realize, I guess, that the slot in the cam is not in the center? That is done because it has to be phased properly so there is only one way it can go on. You might try rotating the Alpha's shaft 180 degrees and trying again.

Rick

Rick has been a big help, I appreciate that.

I really think it is just me not lining things up. I am going to grease the hell out of it and try try again. LOL

Back