• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Old fluids - cold now or warm later

motodan

General question on lube drain. Does draining transmission or final drive lube when cold, like 50 degrees, result in a satisfactory fluid change? In other words, is it better to let three year old fluid sit till warmer weather when bike can be ridden to warm up fluids...or better to remove (asap) it cold and put new fluids in?

It is not just the flow improvement, which is significant, but the suspension of contaminants and evaporation of moisture that the hot drain provides. I'd wait until I could do a warm-up ride.

My "theory" is that when something has been sitting, all the fluid is at the low spot (cold) and a drain takes much longer. Sometimes if the drained lube looks "iffy", i will run some kerosene through the fill and out the drain and watch for clarity.
If it's warm- or warmed up, the lube is dispersed and some will "cling" for some time to the innards slowing a "complete" quick drain.
In the long run.....it probably doesn't matter much. It's what makes you feel best about your work.
OM

Three messages with four different solutions. OM gets credit for two with "do B or do either". All we need is someone to opine that "lube is expensive, do neither" and we will have the complete set of possible responses.

In my opinion the best option is to replace fluids after having ridden the bike for a while so that it is at operating temperature. It is also best to change the fluids at least annually, more often as circumstances warrant (e.g., mileage, storage conditions with potential accumulation of water condensation, etc.).

This might not be possible in all circumstances (i.e., bad weather). In such instances I'd remove the drain plugs and allow oil to drain thoroughly (overnight would be good). Installing the drain plugs and adding a bit of kero then draining would help remove additional sludge - thorough draining is still suggested.

If I had a bike that had been sitting for a very long time (e.g., newly acquired barn find), I would replace the fluids before riding the bike. It might even be worthwhile to replace the fluids again after a short interval. YMMV

Last edited:
Three messages with four different solutions. OM gets credit for two with "do B or do either". All we need is someone to opine that "lube is expensive, do neither" and we will have the complete set of possible responses.

There can never be too many solutions.

Ah yes, BUT....what kind of replacement lube will you be using? Inquiring minds (and oil thread contributors) want to know!

Ok, we probably don't. :laugh

Drain the gear box and FD oil while cold.

Heat fresh oil by placing the containers in very hot water. Ensure the cap is loosened release pressure. Keep cap out of water.

Place hot oil in the transmission and FD. Rotate the rear wheel to circulate the FD oil. If you are energetic you can remove a plug from each jug, place the gear selector in 6th gear and rotate the rear wheel.

Drain both the transmission and FD.

Refill them both with appropriate oils.

I have not ever done this and likely will never do it, but it’s an idea.

Why would you preheat the new oil??? Are you suggesting draining and refilling TWICE? Sounds like a huge waste of time and oil.

The reason for draining the old oil when it is hot is that you get a more complete drain. If you are concerned about a complete drain, wait until you can go for a quick ride (ie.don't schedule your maintenance for the dead of winter). Changing it cold in 50 degree weather should be fine if the oils have been kept clean by regular changes.

If it is one of the models that has a history of final drive issues, I'd be more concerned with a complete drain AND a close examination of the old oil for any metal particles in the oil.

:dance:dance:dance

Going with Paul's "lube is cheap" option. Changed trans lube cold...it didn't look as bad as I thought it might. When bike can be ridden in weeks or months may change again after good warm up. Will do final drive as soon as I can break muffler clamp nut loose, rusted tight right now. My arm force wouldn't break it. Sprayed with WD, will try later and perhaps go to leg kick force. I wouldn't be doing this but the bike is new to me and service records lacking...last recorded service was 6,000 miles in 2014 and only ridden 1,800 miles since then. I feel better knowing what was in there and what will be in there.

If the service history is unknown/questionable, then add a brake system flush to the task list.

Why would you preheat the new oil??? Are you suggesting draining and refilling TWICE? Sounds like a huge waste of time and oil.

The reason for draining the old oil when it is hot is that you get a more complete drain. If you are concerned about a complete drain, wait until you can go for a quick ride (ie.don't schedule your maintenance for the dead of winter). Changing it cold in 50 degree weather should be fine if the oils have been kept clean by regular changes.

If it is one of the models that has a history of final drive issues, I'd be more concerned with a complete drain AND a close examination of the old oil for any metal particles in the oil.

Changing the oil while cold is a condition presented by motodan, the OP. One issue of draining the oil cold is that contaminates are no longer in suspension and remain in the FD as sludge. Putting hot oil in there is a step taken in hopes of flushing any sludge out. Will it work.....? Don’t know, but better than a cold change alone.

What model is it that requires the tranny and final drive oil to be on its third supply of oil in only 7,800 miles???:dunno

What model is it that requires the tranny and final drive oil to be on its third supply of oil in only 7,800 miles???:dunno

An RT that's close to 10 years old with only 7,911 miles and only 1,800 in the last 3 1/2 years since 6,000 mile service. Changing fluids every 42 months isn't overkill...is it? LOL!

Will do final drive as soon as I can break muffler clamp nut loose, rusted tight right now. My arm force wouldn't break it. Sprayed with WD, will try later and perhaps go to leg kick force. I wouldn't be doing this but the bike is new to me and service records lacking...last recorded service was 6,000 miles in 2014 and only ridden 1,800 miles since then. I feel better knowing what was in there and what will be in there.

Not sure what the muffler clamp has to do with final drive oil change, but WD is not a penetrating lube. Try Kroil or PB Blaster instead.

Back