• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Motorrad, GPS, and Dealer POIs

GTRider
This should be simple, but doesn’t appear to be unless I’m missing something. BMW sells motorcycles equipped with GPS and maintains dealerships across North America. Seems to me I should be able to go to BMW’s website and download a gpx file with all the NA dealers listed as POIs, with all the relevant data included in the POI—name, address, phone and other contact info, coordinates of course, and other info deemed appropriate or necessary by BMW or the individual dealers. That would only make sense for a company selling GPS-equipped vehicles with a roadside service package.

But if the above exists, I have yet to find it on the websites for BMW or the individual dealers. I have found independent sites that offer the file, but the two I’ve found require some silly “membership” requirements like posting in their forums at least once a week for three weeks before gaining full access, things like that. And then, once the file is downloaded and opened there are obvious errors in the file. :rolleyes

So does BMW have a POI file available or not? And if they do, where is it found? And if BMW is asleep at the wheel on this, is there another source that has an ACCURATE POI listing of dealerships?

Best,
DG

I have not searched for such a file, but did have a GPS with the dealerships supposedly installed. It had Gina's in Iowa City wrong. And Franks in Vermont wrong. But the crowning indignity was that Engle Motors in Kansas City has been in the same location since 1954 and it had them wrong too. Bikes - OK. Geography not so much. :)

NAV VI has a menu selection for dealers in the "Where to" tree. Probably one can thank Garmin's mapping sub-contractor for location errors, they do not do their own maps.

Long way to download: Go to www.bmw-motorrad.com, select country, click "Gear and Parts", click on any of the "BMW Motorrad Navigator" versions listed, click the "Downloads" tab, click the "Dealer database" button. Installation instructions are in the downloaded .zip file. There will probably be another update before summer.

Short way to download: click here -> http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/_common/downloads/equipment/BMW_Motorrad_Navigator_VI_Haendlerdatenbank_2017.zip

Might want to grab Dann's POI file of independent BMW shops while you are at it: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?88187-Independent-BMW-shops&p=1080194&viewfull=1#post1080194

Edit: It occurred to me that the installation methods might vary by GPS model, but I only have one GPS to test with. I did check and see that the POI file is the same for various models, and it installed just fine on my zumo 590 using the Garmin POI loader.

Long way to download: Go to www.bmw-motorrad.com, select country, click "Gear and Parts", click on any of the "BMW Motorrad Navigator" versions listed, click the "Downloads" tab, click the "Dealer database" button. Installation instructions are in the downloaded .zip file. There will probably be another update before summer.

Short way to download: click here -> http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/_common/downloads/equipment/BMW_Motorrad_Navigator_VI_Haendlerdatenbank_2017.zip

Might want to grab Dann's POI file of independent BMW shops while you are at it: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?88187-Independent-BMW-shops&p=1080194&viewfull=1#post1080194

Edit: It occurred to me that the installation methods might vary by GPS model, but I only have one GPS to test with. I did check and see that the POI file is the same for various models, and it installed just fine on my zumo 590 using the Garmin POI loader.

Now, that right there is some very good and useful information! Thank you! I’ll pull those files later today and do the install on my 590 tonight. :thumb :)

Best,
DG

Last edited:
Still tinkering with this, but a bit disappointed in the list from the Motorrad side. The download is not specific by region or continent but includes all dealers world-wide, which I really don't need. The file comes down as a .gpi file, which is easily converted online to a .gpx file that Basecamp and my 590 seem to want, but perusing the waypoints shows that basic information like the address and phone# of the shop is missing. The instructions that come with the download reference copying the .gpi file directly to the GPS, but since there are no .gpi files--visible or hidden--so I'm not sure the file would be recognized and used by my 590. I think next step will be to expose the .gpi file as a .csv or xml file and have a look at the raw data. I have a 16x16 .bmp file of the roundel that I'd like to get incorporated as the icon for these points as well.

Sigh...
DG

The .gpi file is a valid POI format for the 590. It is the exact same file I have on my 590, copied to the zumo at \zūmo 590\Internal Storage\POI. If you do not have that folder, you can create it using your computer's file manager. Once in that folder, it will add a BMW logo to the "Where To? screen. To find a dealer I turn on the GPS, touch "Where To?", then the BMW Motorrad roundel, and I get a list of dealers ranked by distance from my location. Pressing the "Searching near" box lets you choose a different starting point.
1.png

Selecting the top one, I have options to view routes to that location, get more information (the circled "i") or just navigate directly to the dealer.
2.jpg

The information option includes the phone number.
3.jpg

I think(don't quote me on that) the .gpi format is a compressed form of a .gpx file. The .gpi file does include international dealers, but the file is already pretty small, so converting to another format to edit them out would not be worth the effort.

I'm not getting these POI's to show up in Basecamp, though the file is visible under Maps->Manage Custom POI's. :scratch

Last edited:
, but perusing the waypoints shows that basic information like the address and phone# of the shop is missing. The instructions that come with the download reference copying the .gpi file directly to the GPS,

On my Nav it looks like Larry's attachment, showing location with a BMW roundel along with the address and phone number.
All I had to do was copy and paste the file into the POI folder.

Thank you, that does indeed work and my 590 now displays the Motorrad option, and the individual dealer listings include address and contact info. Research on one source states that GPI files are “compressed/encrypted files using GPX and/or CSV files as a source”. I need to do more digging on that to see if they can be opened and edited with one of the POI editors. I’d suspect they won’t display in Basecamp until converted back to the source format, and in what tinkering I’ve done that appears to be a lossy conversion.

My 590 did not have a POI folder so I had to create one.

Thanks for the help!
DG

Added the List to my Nuvi just for kicks.
Here's what my Where To page looks like.

Nuvi (2).jpg

Last edited:
http://www.poi-factory.com

This should be simple, but doesn’t appear to be unless I’m missing something. BMW sells motorcycles equipped with GPS and maintains dealerships across North America. Seems to me I should be able to go to BMW’s website and download a gpx file with all the NA dealers listed as POIs, with all the relevant data included in the POI—name, address, phone and other contact info, coordinates of course, and other info deemed appropriate or necessary by BMW or the individual dealers. That would only make sense for a company selling GPS-equipped vehicles with a roadside service package.

But if the above exists, I have yet to find it on the websites for BMW or the individual dealers. I have found independent sites that offer the file, but the two I’ve found require some silly “membership” requirements like posting in their forums at least once a week for three weeks before gaining full access, things like that. And then, once the file is downloaded and opened there are obvious errors in the file. :rolleyes

So does BMW have a POI file available or not? And if they do, where is it found? And if BMW is asleep at the wheel on this, is there another source that has an ACCURATE POI listing of dealerships?

Best,
DG

http://www.poi-factory.com Try this site. POI Factory has many, many POI files for different things and there is a discussion about bringing the BMW Dealer file up to date. Also there are some very good help discussions for your GPS.

http://www.poi-factory.com Try this site. POI Factory has many, many POI files for different things and there is a discussion about bringing the BMW Dealer file up to date. Also there are some very good help discussions for your GPS.

That's what I've used with good success. I think it even has something like "Independent Motorcycle Dealers" - which lists places like Ned's Auto and Cycle in Riverside, IA.

I also have added Yamaha, Honda, etc. because you never know where you'll need tires/simple things done.

replacing the gpi file question

Hi all,
I forgot how to replace the old gpi file in the unit firmware with this new gpi file. Any instructional help woult be appreciated.
Ride Safe, Think Fast!
Robert

GOT IT. Placed it in the NAV Vl unit and replaced the 'F' version with the 'G'. I just bought the NAV Vl and can't believe it didn't come with the latest data!

Last edited:
Robert if you're asking about the dealer list, here's instructions.

Instructions for uploading the database to a BMW Motorrad Navigator VI using Microsoft Windows.

1) Connect the GPS via the USB cable to an open USB port on your computer. Turn on the GPS unit.

2) If your computer asks for a driver, please download and install the USB driver from Garmin's website at www.garmin.com. The driver can be found
by selecting "Software" from the "Support" menu and then selecting "Additional Software" and "USB Drivers".

3) Once the computer recognizes your GPS device, a new window should pop up showing the GPS storage drive. If no window pops up, simply double
click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop and double click on the drive displaying "BMW Navigator VI".

4) Within the "BMW Navigator V" drive, open the "Poi" folder within the "Garmin" folder. This is where the updated database will be copied.

5) Locate the downloaded dealer database file named D0743030G.gpi. Highlight the file, and select Edit > Copy.

6) Go back to the "Poi" folder within the GPS unit's drive and paste the database file by selcting Edit > Paste.
(Note: You can also drag and drop files to and from your drives.)

7) Within the "Poi" folder, delete older dealer database files with the names D0743030A.gpi, D0743030B.gpi, D0743030C.gpi, D0743030D.gpi, D0743030E.gpi,
or D0743030F.gpi. Do not delete other gpi files.

8) Safely remove the GPS device from your computer.

The BMW Motorrad dealer database for the BMW Motorrad Navigator VI has now been updated to version 12.00.
Please be aware that the Navigator V will report version 12.00 of the dealer database. If you experience difficulty loading the database to
your BMW device or for any additional help with this process, please visit the "Managing Files" and "Troubleshooting" sections in the GPS unit's owner's
manual.

Robert if you're asking about the dealer list, here's instructions.

Instructions for uploading the database to a BMW Motorrad Navigator VI using Microsoft Windows.

1) Connect the GPS via the USB cable to an open USB port on your computer. Turn on the GPS unit.

2) If your computer asks for a driver, please download and install the USB driver from Garmin's website at www.garmin.com. The driver can be found
by selecting "Software" from the "Support" menu and then selecting "Additional Software" and "USB Drivers".

3) Once the computer recognizes your GPS device, a new window should pop up showing the GPS storage drive. If no window pops up, simply double
click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop and double click on the drive displaying "BMW Navigator VI".

4) Within the "BMW Navigator V" drive, open the "Poi" folder within the "Garmin" folder. This is where the updated database will be copied.

5) Locate the downloaded dealer database file named D0743030G.gpi. Highlight the file, and select Edit > Copy.

6) Go back to the "Poi" folder within the GPS unit's drive and paste the database file by selecting Edit > Paste.
(Note: You can also drag and drop files to and from your drives.)

7) Within the "Poi" folder, delete older dealer database files with the names D0743030A.gpi, D0743030B.gpi, D0743030C.gpi, D0743030D.gpi, D0743030E.gpi,
or D0743030F.gpi. Do not delete other gpi files.

8) Safely remove the GPS device from your computer.

The BMW Motorrad dealer database for the BMW Motorrad Navigator VI has now been updated to version 12.00.
Please be aware that the Navigator V will report version 12.00 of the dealer database. If you experience difficulty loading the database to
your BMW device or for any additional help with this process, please visit the "Managing Files" and "Troubleshooting" sections in the GPS unit's owner's
manual.

Nothing more frustrating than following the "Garmin Instructions" text file and it doesn't work because the person who likely wrote it up never tried it in the REAL world.

In 4) above there is no Garmin folder. This is what I see. Sure enough, when you double-click on Internal Storage you will find the POI folder. Double-click on the POI folder and sure enough a GPI is found within it. In my case, an older D0743030F which I just upgraded to a D0743030J. And even that wasn't as easy if you followed the next few steps.
Navigator V.jpg

Before you do 5) and 6), 7) should be done first because if an older file is in the POI folder, a newer one could not be installed when I tried to Paste it. The Paste was greyed out. And you could not Drag & Drop files either. Go figure.

Just give me a vehicle without all the gizmo-wizardry. Same with software weenies. Too many academics trying to impress me. :laugh

Back