• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Charger

jmcd

Hi all, I recently reentered BMW World after a short hiatus in Harly world. I bought a used 2015 R1200RT(Previously owned an R1100RT) . At the same time, I purchased an Advanced BMW Charging System. After time I attempt to use it, plugging it into the BMW console built into the fairing and using the BMW plug, the amber light flashes and that is it. It never appears to begin delivering a trickle charge. Is the charging unit bad?

Try turning on ignition without starting the bike, then plugging in charger, followed by turning ignition off, and see if anything changes. Should work fine like that.

Welcome to the forum!
One of the ways around the computer sensing deal is to install an SAE connector right to the battery. I’m not sure if your batter charger has that ability. Most of the Battery Tender brand chargers come with the option.
Gary

Quick question for those more knowledgeable than I, if you don't mind

I currently have a bmw charger that plugs into the bike at the seat. The dealer recently installed a 2 pin connector to the batt for me

Is there an adapter from the present cigarette type male to the bike that converts to a 2 pin so I can circumvent the handshake on my old charger?

Mine has the cig lighter type connector and I'd like to convert that to 2 pin without having to buy another charger.

Thanks in advance

Have a peek at the Powerlet site- http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-product/power-cables/PWRCBL
Home- https://www.powerlet.com/products
Should give you some ideas.
OM

Thanks

But I'm looking for the female to 2 pin, don't see anything on that site that does that. Any suggestions for converter for male [ that takes the male to female and then converts to 2 pin?

I want to use the chargers male connection on a 2 pin directly to batt. So I need a female powelet receptacle to 2 pin which will circumvent the canbus

Last edited:
Thanks

But I'm looking for the female to 2 pin, don't see anything on that site that does that. Any suggestions for converter for male [ that takes the male to female and then converts to 2 pin?

I want to use the chargers male connection on a 2 pin directly to batt. So I need a female powelet receptacle to 2 pin which will circumvent the canbus
I'd give them a call and ask. I'll bet they will make what you need. All their products that I have seen looked first rate.
OM

Check out Powerlet part no. PAC-025. I think it may be exactly what you need.

That is a female DIN plug to SAE.

It reads like he wants a US type female cigarette lighter to SAE adaptor

That said if it were me I would cut off the cigarette lighter style male plug and put a two pole SAE on the charger wiring instead.

Check out Powerlet part no. PAC-025. I think it may be exactly what you need.

That's it, exactly what I need. I plug the chargers male powerlet into the female and then to two pin into the bike direct to the battery

Thank you very much

Just ordered through amazon with a couple of other things I had in the cart for the bike.

Great help from members here, thanks and have a safe holiday folks

Last edited:
Avoid all the canbus/linbus issues, simple install of a FUSED powerlet plug below the current one on upper right fairing, or left fairing or in my case the black triangle fairing behind battery
Benefits= no heated gear issue, running a compressor or charging battery no faults

Paul, I think the confusion came from Brownie referring to the DIN plug as "the present cigarette type male".

Most of us usually take a while to figure out the correct terminology let-a-lone use it. ;-)

Just for the record, a DIN plug, while it looks quite similar to a cigarette lighter plug, it is very different and far superior to the cigarette lighter plug, especially where weather protection, connection, and vibration proofing are concerned. IIRC, it is also noticabely more effiecient at conducting electricity and therefore less of a drain on the charging system, although I think the DC Coax connections are even more efficient.

Here are visual examples:

SAE connector on the left end and DC Coax (male) on the right end:
51-2835plugadptr.jpg

Cigarette lighter (female) to DIN (male):
X001-Y001.jpg

Paul, I think the confusion came from Brownie referring to the DIN plug as "the present cigarette type male".

Most of us usually take a while to figure out the correct terminology let-a-lone use it. ;-)

Just for the record, a DIN plug, while it looks quite similar to a cigarette lighter plug, it is very different and far superior to the cigarette lighter plug, especially where weather protection, connection, and vibration proofing are concerned. IIRC, it is also noticabely more effiecient at conducting electricity and therefore less of a drain on the charging system, although I think the DC Coax connections are even more efficient.

Here are visual examples:

SAE connector on the left end and DC Coax (male) on the right end:
View attachment 65554

Cigarette lighter (female) to DIN (male):
View attachment 65555

It did, my fault not knowing the correct terminology of that connection that looks like a sic lighter receptacle. I'm learning from you folks here, and really appreciate the knowledge base.

Hi all, I recently reentered BMW World after a short hiatus in Harly world. I bought a used 2015 R1200RT(Previously owned an R1100RT) . At the same time, I purchased an Advanced BMW Charging System. After time I attempt to use it, plugging it into the BMW console built into the fairing and using the BMW plug, the amber light flashes and that is it. It never appears to begin delivering a trickle charge. Is the charging unit bad?

I have one of these chargers on my RS and use the factory socket. Sometimes it responds immediately and and sometimes it does nothing for a few minutes. As I understand it, the charging unit actually interfaces with the bike computer. It won't deliver a trickle charge all the time. It will cycle through a charge cycle periodically, so I am told.

I have one of these chargers on my RS and use the factory socket. Sometimes it responds immediately and and sometimes it does nothing for a few minutes. As I understand it, the charging unit actually interfaces with the bike computer. It won't deliver a trickle charge all the time. It will cycle through a charge cycle periodically, so I am told.

That’s right, the module that monitors the power socket will disconnect the charger if or when the battery is fully charged. This prolongs the life of the battery. Later, when some of the charge has been drawn off the battery, the power socket will be reconnected.

From the manual: “The motorcycle's onboard electronics know when the battery is fully charged. The onboard socket is switched off when this happens.”

Some maintenance chargers do the same thing themselves, the MinnKota charger I use on my boat fully charges the battery, then trickle charges the battery for 24 hours, then disconnects until the battery’s voltage dips down a little, then reconnects and trickle charges to full again.

Try turning on ignition without starting the bike, then plugging in charger, followed by turning ignition off, and see if anything changes. Should work fine like that.

Hey bikerfish1100 - I tried what you suggested and initially thought it worked. once plugged in, it initially went solid amber(rather than blinking) - but after a bit went back to blinking. Tried it twice with same result.

Battery might be so drained that it won't accept the low level charge. had that happen with one of mine. Slapped on a larger amperage charger (3.5 amps, I think), brought it up to snuff, and then the BTjr worked fine.

Back