• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Foot position while shifting

Richard, it will help if you complete your profile. I little info about where you live and what you ride and do goes a long way. :thumb

This is not a troll. I have a question. How should a person handle being stopped at a construction site for several minutes before the next vehicle comes along behind you? I know there are lots of cases where vehicles fill in behind quickly, but out here in the vast west, not always. So what to do? I know what I do but want to know what the pro's do?

This is not a troll. I have a question. How should a person handle being stopped at a construction site for several minutes before the next vehicle comes along behind you? I know there are lots of cases where vehicles fill in behind quickly, but out here in the vast west, not always. So what to do? I know what I do but want to know what the pro's do?

Trust but verify...... how many fingers am I holding up? :wave

"There is no such thing as a stupid question" I am told. But question the answer, try to debate all sides of a scenario and you are called "dumb as a rock", a troublemaker and a troll.

There are some people reading this thread that have indicated they actually like the thread, it has made them re-examine some of their most basic techniques as a rider, and as far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with that. It's how we learn and become better and more knowledgeable about things.

I've been driving over 35 years accident free. Not bad for someone who is dumb as a rock. I'm relatively new to motorcycling, hence the "dumb as a rock" questions, but I've already racked up tens of thousands of kms in road trips... without incident. I believe part of the reason is because I have learned to never assume anything when driving. If you are going to get hit, it will be by something you didn't expect, hence, expect everything. And that's the motto I drive by.

I'm sorry for debating your responses and causing such an upset. Questioning everything and coming up with alternate scenarios is how I learn. Whether they be the "right way" or not. I came here with questions because I wanted to learn and discuss riding. I wanted to draw upon the knowledge of people that have been riding for decades. I value that knowledge. Maybe what you say is right, so discuss it! Tell me why. Don't simply lash out because I wanted more facts. I did not come here to be abused by a sandbox "conform or be cast out" mentality. I assume most of the posters here are older, and more mature, so I guess I expected better. My mistake.

If this is considered "trolling" or troublemaking, then I apoligize. And I will bother the forum no more, but I can see why the majority of readers never post anything, it makes you a target. Look at PGlaves post already, he has to start it with "this is not a troll" disclaimer because he worries if he asks a question he will get pounced on too. Exactly what Im talking about.

I do agree that leaving space between you and the car in front is important, because if you ARE hit from behind, you and the bike have some room to move before getting squished.

Leaving space in front of you allows room to move out of the way if you see or hear someone not stopping behind you in time.

I've been driving over 35 years accident free. Not bad for someone who is dumb as a rock. I'm relatively new to motorcycling...

To be "safe" on a motorcycle, a relative term to be sure, one must understand that first of all, having a good driving record in a car, while good, does not mean you will be safe on a motorcycle. The first thing to understand is the "Mr. Magoo" syndrome, where careless drivers look right at you on your motorcycle and fail to perceive your existence. You have to acknowledge the prevalence of "left turn" accidents where car drivers violate your right of way and turn left in front of you. Of course there are other challenges on a bike, like avoiding panic in turns and running off the road.

In general, you need to be even more defensive on a bike than in your car, and you must be highly visible and ensure that other motorists see you by use of white or hi-viz helmet, reflective material, hi-viz vests or jackets, and lane positioning to make yourself readily seen. You must also scan for situations where other motorists' vision is blocked and be especially careful to guard against these people pulling out and causing an accident despite the fact that they can't possibly see you.

Good luck!

Harry

H sometimes does a little jig:laugh:laugh Too early in Winter season to be so serious for me.

P1010171 (2).jpg

Not that we need a disclaimer...this was a known 20 minute minimum wait and we got tired of sitting for second or third trip ...with engine off and most likely in gear on sidestands. Some wait times are pretty crazy waiting on the pilot car or light. We also were the only vehicles to be seen going that direction on this pass. Not that it would stop the dance move. I probably was digging for a Reeses in my tankbag.
Would be a long wait with clutch pulled in:whistle

And 20 demerits for H's choice of gear no doubt...it was 2005

"
Look at PGlaves post already, he has to start it with "this is not a troll" disclaimer because he worries if he asks a question he will get pounced on too. Exactly what Im talking about.

Not exactly Richard. I have been a member since 1977. I wrote a technical column in the Owners News for 20 years. I was MOA President for a few years back at the turn of the century. I am over 850,000 BMW miles. My wife Voni is over 1,100,000 accident-free BMW miles. Many of the folks on the forum know me and I know them, and I really don't get "pounced on" very often. But since trolling had been brought up in the thread, and because I was changing the subject rather abruptly I started the post the way I did.

Now you tell me I'm suppose to shift, and all this time I thought my bike was just really slow.:) This motorcycle riding is way too complicated. Seriously, I feel sometimes one can overthink things. Also, I think sometimes posters (especially new ones), are a little thin skinned. Since I have been on this forum, I have NEVER felt that anyone here has been anything but helpful when I asked a question. Humor makes the day brighter, but beware , I do think PGlaves is a troll :laugh.

My 2 cents

1: msf people said shift down to first on stops
2: my bike has a lot of influence in this 94 R1100RS in neutral clutch out at idle sped sounds like St. Nick on the roof on xmas eve clatter, knock, rattle, etc. when I purchased bike with 27,000 miles on dealer said they all do it 63,000 miles later don't know if it still does it
3: hard to hit neutral without making complete stop
4: troll, hunchback, politician who cares if they are a good mechanic ( bet Paul could diagnose and fix santa clause noise)
5: foot peg position original post response, I have a bad left ankle from a car crash so not real flexible I got in the habit of riding with pegs right in front of the heel. While becoming a better rider and the lean angles get a little sharper it gets a little scary when the size 13's touch down first and start bending backwards, so I now try to keep pegs more under the balls of my feet.

On my first /5, I put a large hose clamp on the outboard ends of the roll bars, just above the outer-most bend, with the worm gear "up" - that made a place to lightly "catch" my ankles when I stretched my legs out!

So how exactly do things go south at a traffic light? Are we talking about the vehicle behind you not watching and running into you from behind? If so, how would you ever know in time to react and drive out of the way, even if you were watching them approach in your rear view mirror? Technically you wouldn't really know they were not going to stop unless they were driving excessively fast, until it's too late. If it's a vehicle running the light, they are unlikely to careen into sideways stopped traffic unless they were literally fishtailing and wiping out through the intersection, and someone coming straight at you is on the other side of the road. I do agree that leaving space between you and the car in front is important, because if you ARE hit from behind, you and the bike have some room to move before getting squished. Just being a devil's advocate for the sake of debate here.

In 1982 I was stopped at a traffic light in a long line of cars. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the car behind me moving over toward to shoulder, I thought he was going to drive down the shoulder and make a right turn. Next thing I saw was a semi running over the left rear corner of the the car just before it hit me square in the A$$ and totaled my 1981 R100RT. THAT'S what can go south at a traffic light.

:wave Ski

In 1982 I was stopped at a traffic light in a long line of cars. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the car behind me moving over toward to shoulder, I thought he was going to drive down the shoulder and make a right turn. Next thing I saw was a semi running over the left rear corner of the the car just before it hit me square in the A$$ and totaled my 1981 R100RT. THAT'S what can go south at a traffic light.

:wave Ski

Now there is a decent response. Thank you.

Back to the issue of standing at stop lights with the transmission in first gear and the clutch disengaged.

Earlier in this thread, I had expressed my reluctance to do this based on early education concerns about undue wear on the throwout bearing. So, after reading the discussion here, I decided to try staying in 1st instead of shifting to neutral at stop lights during a short urban ride I took on Tuesday evening. I still find it very uncomfortable. I may try to stay in first for a few seconds until stopped cars fill in behind me, but there is no way I will ever be comfortable sitting at a long light in first gear.

I wonder how common has it been for people to successfully escape because they were in gear when someone came up behind them and failed to stop. One unsuccessful case was posted here, are there lots more? I had one similar experience but it was starting not stopping. I was stopped at a light with a car behind me. When the light turned green the car behind me started off without waiting for me to start. It was an extreme example of not seeing a motorcycle. And it was the ultimate slow speed collision: I was not moving, she was going maybe 1 or 2 mph when she hit my rear fender. The only damage to me or the bike was broken rear fender. As I recall I did not even fall over.

In any event, I have always paid attention to my rear view mirrors when stopping. I will continue to, and maybe I will start dropping down to 1st when initially coming to a halt. In the past I often would go from 2nd to neutral without ever hitting 1st. Now I will go to 1st and stay there at least until there is a buffer of a few stopped cars behind me. So, the forum has encouraged a beneficial change in my riding practices. Thanks.

PS Another potential benefit, is that occasionally I have discovered that I tried to start off in 2nd because I forgot that I never shifted into 1st when I stopped. This might eliminate that occurrence as well.

I think you'll find that your grip strength will increase if you try leaving it in first gear.

Chris

I think you'll find that your grip strength will increase if you try leaving it in first gear.

Chris
I'm not sure if that is intended humorously, or seriously. My discomfort sitting in 1st gear with the clutch lever pulled, is more worry about wear and tear on the throwout bearing than fatigue in my left hand. Although in stop and go traffic, the left hand can get tired.

It was meant seriously. It never occurred to me that you'd be worried about anything else.

I've commuted for about 140K miles in stop and go traffic and never worried about a throwout bearing. I've been concerned about my clutch wearing out...which it never has...but I never had a choice but to endure it and hope the clutch didn't wear out...which it never has. Are BMWs that fragile?

Chris

Back