• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Foot position while shifting

Going back to the original topic: Foot position. I mounted a set of Knight Design lowered foot pegs on my 2015 R1200R a few days ago and took a ride with them today for the first time. I am very happy with the slightly altered leg position. There is a little less bend in the knees. I noticed a couple of differences. The shifting geometry is different and it took me a bit to get used to it. I think it will actually be more comfortable shifting once the muscle memory sets in for the new position. I found I was using the Shift Assist more than I used to. It is not clear why, because you still have to shift with your foot, but the new geometry makes it easier and I used shift assist more on the ride today than I used to. The other difference is that I find it easier to get my feet on the pegs when starting off from a light. This makes sense of course since they are a bit closer to the ground but the difference was distinct.

As far as clearance goes, there is no difference. The original pegs had a feeler that projected below the pegs and the bottom of the new pegs are the same distance from the ground as the tip of the feeler on the originals. Somewhere I read that they might interfere with access to the side stand, but I don't notice it. The side stand always required a little care to get your heel on it for deployment, and it still does. No difference. Installation of the pegs was a 10 minute job. They use the pivot bolt, retaining clip and spring from the original pegs. I used a big water pump pliers to compress the spring with a rag to protect the metal.

As far as the subject of leaving the bike in gear at a stoplight, I leave the bike in neutral and keep a careful watch on the traffic closing in behind me.
In the past when I was riding my bike to work a lot I had the occasion to have to drop it in gear and pop the clutch to ovoid a driver who was expecting me to run the red. They did slide to a stop about half way into the spot I was in.
Most of my vehicles, about 6 of the 8 cars I own have manual transmissions, I have a habit of dropping all into neutral at stops to prevent wear on throw out and pressure plate surfaces.

Back