• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 r1200rtw

dynajohn

My 2016 R1200RT has a subtle surge at steady throttle around 4000 RPM's. The bike is completely stock and this feels like a lean surge which as I said is subtle. I had the dealer re-flash the ECU which had no effect so I am assuming this is fuel mapping which is emissions related.

Has anyone here installed a Dynojet Power Commander 5 on a wet head R1200RTW?? In looking at the Dyno Jet fuel program for this bike they richened up this area and used a different fuel program for each cylinder (2 separate maps). :scratch

You might find the cause with a GS-911 type tool. Something is not right as this is definitely not normal. A Power Commander is a waste of money as the BMW's sophisticated fueling system should work correctly. Mine certainly does, as does pretty much everyone I know with a WC boxer.

2016 r1200rt

Thanks. The 911 tool is a scan tool correct? Wouldn't the BMW dealer have been able to see if there was a problem as I assume they have the BMW scan tool???

Yes, the dealer should have been able to diagnose the problem. Since they didn't solve your problem, you either need to;

1) complain to them and try to compel them to actually find the root cause and fix your issue
2) go to a different (more competent) dealer
3) take matters into you own hands

I don't agree. Every GSw I've ridden has a lean spot in that RPM range. I'm positive it is emission related because that one of the testing data points. It is subtle, but it's noticeable if you're a sensitive type of rider. Others in other forums have complained about it too. There are several aftermarket "fixes" available if you so desire.

Thanks

Very interesting LFarling. To your point of the stock map running at 14.7/1 AF. 14.7/1 is the stoic number (most efficient burn) for straight gasoline. That number has shifted down (richer) to around 14.2/1 for the 10% alcohol blends most commonly available at the pump now. I used to find that when dyno tuning that max power was at 13/1 to 13.2/1 on non blended pump gas. Because of the shift to alcohol blends The max power point has shifted down to 12.8/1 to 13/1. I usually tune with a DJ PC5 for 13.8/1 for the light cruising throttle positions and progressively richer at 60-100% throttle. There is no substitute for a good dyno tune when using a PC5 on a load control dyno to get a baseline and then use the DJ autotune module to correct for variances in pump fuel and other variables. I intend to change the muffler to a Akrapovic and install a PC5 system this winter. I don't expect anything from the muffler change other than lighter weight and a little louder sound plus a better looking muffler. MY experience on late model bikes with stock factory exhaust is that they are tuned lean in the lower throttle positions and rich at full throttle at upper range of RPM's.

mnap changes

How can you change the map, it's not hard-coded into the onboard computer?

We are not talking about changing the BMW fuel maps in the bikes ECU. We are talking about adding a aftermarket fuel controller module from DynoJet That has programmable fuel maps that override the stock BMW maps in the bikes ECU. The device is a Power Commander 5 that is connected into the stock BMW harnesses. It is fully programmable to either lean or richen the fuel air mixture an different throttle settings and RPM's. It will come with fuel maps pre-loaded by DynoJet that they created by running a BMW in their own dynamometer test facility.

2016 r1200rt

Thanks for the additional information LFarling. I have been using Power Commanders since my first fuel injected bike (99 Honda XX). I will get back with you next spring when I will have installed a PC5 and Akrapovic muffler. Will have bike first dyno tested stock, then add PC5 and dyno adjust the DJ maps, then install slip on and test again.
John:thumb

Back