• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100 After-Market Side Stand?

K7GLE

I've never been happy with the stock side stand on my '00 R1100RT, which positions the bike too close to vertical for my needs: I have nerve damage in one ear that messes with my balance in unpredictable ways and I can't always tell when the bike is stable, especially when the pavement deviates much from dead flat. I have dropped the bike twice when "parked" as a result...once while dismounting and once while mounting.

I've since come up with an algorithm for parking on a slope: point the bike slightly to the left of "uphill."

The PO of my 82 R100 had added an after-market side stand that was much longer than stock and angled such that the bike leaned at a Harley-like tilt.

I have searched online and talked to the local dealer trying to find a more stable replacement with no luck.

Any tips?

Thanks

Are you sure your suspension has not been lowered? I have a '00 RT and on the sidestand it is nowhere near vertical. It leans a bit too much for my liking! So opposite of yours. The bike was the same when bone stock. I have added Wilbers to it but they were the same length as stock and made no difference to the lean angle of the sidestand at all. They sure made a difference in the ride though... :thumb

+1. I agree with Wanderer, kind of.

Lowered? Was it? But even if the stock suspension is still there, it may be so worn that the bike is sitting lower than when new. That would leave the bike standing more upright. When I replaced my shocks my 1100RT leaned over more than before.

I bought Wilber's and lowered my 1100rt. When I did that the bike did stand to upright for my taste so I cut the stand off about 3/4". Now it's perfect for me. If you did decide to cut it down start with a small amount because it doesn't take much.

My R1100RT has a very noticeable lean when on the side stand. I had Ohlins put on it, the same height as the stock shocks. :scratch

The other deficiency of the RT sidestand is that if it is not maintained well (remove, clean, grease) every year they get worn and sloppy. If you put the bike on the center stand, deploy the side stand, grab it and wiggle up and down, how much play is there? If it is really excessive the mechanism is probably quite worn.

GSAddict helped me modify my center stand by drilling a couple of pin hole grease points which I grease annually at least. I was visiting him over in Sechelt to do some work on my RT together and the center stand was very sticky. Would not retract properly on it's own. He noticed it right away and showed me how he fixed that problem on his bike and many others. They _used_ to have grease points on BMW centerstands. Not sure why they did away with them.

Keeping that sidestand clean and greased really helps and while there you should clean the safety kill switch down there too. It gets packed with dirt and crap that encourages early failure.

Thanks to all. I'll check into the shock question, and the center stand does indeed not pop all the way up on its own.

Back