• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Goldwing owner

All I can say is I sold my second Wing, a 6-month-old 2014 GL1800ABS, to get an 2015 RT.

I fell in lust with the looks when it first came out, and eventually figured I'd go for a test drive just to get it out of my system.

I put my Wing up for sale that night when I got back from the test drive.

The RT is every reason I ever fell in love with motorcycling. Everything in the right place, in the right amount. Does ANYTHING I ask of her with no effort at all. I'm 2 years into it and I still fall in love with it every time I ride it.

And that's every day.

YMMV

The RT is every reason I ever fell in love with motorcycling. Everything in the right place, in the right amount. Does ANYTHING I ask of her with no effort at all. I'm 2 years into it and I still fall in love with it every time I ride it.

And that's every day.

YMMV

There is a reason RT is at the top of the ST heap repeatedly in ST shootouts, and that is because of exactly what you say: 'everything in the right place, in the right amount'. I ride almost every day even if it's just 'riding in circles' as I like to call it. I can't find anything lacking with it, though I wouldn't mind having ABS Pro!

I took a test ride today on a R1200 RT. I was impressed on how well it handled and it had plenty of pep. After riding nothing but goldwings since 1976 it will take a little getting used to but I'm sure if I get one it won't take long. One of the biggest complaints was the seat, it was like setting on a rock, I would be lucky to do a hundred miles on it. I'm also on my tip toes and on the wing I can set flat footed. After I got off the RT and back on my bike it felt like I was on a truck. So before I give up my level four wing those two issues would need to be corrected. Loved the electric shield.
Bob

You can get a BMW with a factory lowered suspension. There are many options for custom or semi-custom seats. Problems solved!

Just kiddin' very familiar with it. Actually, I'm just a worker bee but over the last 20 years I've been able to jones into two bikes, selling a used one, buying a used one. At 69 I'm buying a new one and damn, how long should I wait to have fun?!! This'll be the 2nd new one, the 1st was the Wing in 2005. If I didn't like the rt better I'd keep the Wing, helluva bike. It is hard to ignore creature comforts and electronic marvels like great sound, and the safety features like track control, abs pro (in the curves too) automatic suspension constantly adjusting to the road, etc., that the RT offers.

You and another posted remarked that the electric windshield was a maintenance hassle but I've never had a prob with it. Mine seems to work very well and I'd never go back to manual if I could avoid it.

Scott

View attachment 62788

Scott -

Ride what makes you smile. There is no one perfect bike.

But to elaborate about the windshields on BMW's, many of us have had to replace the support arms (upper), since they are cheap pot-metal, and subject to fracturing under dynamic pressures. Entire threads dedicated to acquiring aftermarket parts have frequented this Forum.

Secondly, the lower arms can snap as well. This happened to me in the Black Hills country of SD, and stranded me at Sturgis BMW for 48 hrs. Reason: only two lower arm/motor units were left in the USA, due to high demand. Dealer worked hard to get the 2nd last unit ($300 + labor!) in America overnighted from PA, but states it's not that uncommon a repair. My local dealer told me the same.

The world of reliability we perceive here on the Forum, based on anecdotal 'data' and impromptu 'brand pep rallies,' often clashes with the real world of repairs going on out there.

I prefer the simplicity (reliability) of a manually adjusted windshield height. There are many BMW owners who I suspect have paid dearly to hold onto the convenience of a motor-operated system.

Honda did make a motorized shield for the ST1300 - but typical of Honda, built it to last, with almost no issues. My son's ST1300 (bought new in 2007) till he traded up in 2014.

Enjoy that RT - I had fun with mine for 7 years - when it wasn't down for repairs and recalls. :dunno

Last edited:
What is all this talk about dropping RTs?

I have been riding BMW oil-head and wet-head RTs since 1996 and never dropped one. Perhaps some day I will. I have front and rear Ilium crash bars on them now, so a tip over could scratch the bars.

fall-colors.jpg

ilium-bar.jpg

yeah, you're also like 7'5" tall! Could cut your legs off at the knees, and you'd still be flat footing it!

yeah, you're also like 7'5" tall! Could cut your legs off at the knees, and you'd still be flat footing it!

Actually, I was trained as an MSF RiderCoach by Jeff Dean (and two others) back in 2004. Knowing him ........

He really is that tall. But it's because he occasionally hands notes of advice to God! :gerg

Kevin, I've had 3 RTs and have a lot of friends who've been running RTs for many many years and never run across anyone, who has had the level of problems you've unfortunately had to endure the the windscreen. I'm presuming your experience has been the same, that your situation is the exception to the rule and not common.

+1 on this. I've owned LT's, GT's and RT's (not a Hexhead) and never had a problem with the windshield mechanisms and have marveled how well engineered and constructed they were...especially the 2004 GT. I had to go look up what problems were being encountered and apparently the Hexhead RT's were susceptible to support arm failure when fitted with aftermarket (large area) windshields. Not sure the marque can be faulted entirely for that one...

Frankly anyone who suggests a manual windshield is preferable to a powered one looses a certain amount of cred with me...

So where do I look for a custom seat that sets low on the bike and if it was narrow in the front that would let me get more leg to the ground?

Back