• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

For those OCD bike clean types

jaflowers

I remember reading a thread on here awhile back on how to clean the really tight area under the windscreen. I don't remember any good ideas but happen to come upon a really good, super simple way today. A Swiffer 360 duster. Fits into the tight areas like it was made for it. Cleans up all the dust and even picks up some dirt left over from rain storms that drys up in there. No removing the screen, no squeezing what you can of your fingers in there with a cloth. ....you don't even have to raise the screen up.

I'm not OCD but my bike was in the garage and looking awfully dusty and I was using this little beast and discovered this usage for it. Thought I'd pass it along for those freaking out about not getting into the tight little area. Enjoy

https://swiffer.com/en-us/shop-products/dusting/swiffer-360-dusters-extender-cleaner-starter-kit

I'm not OCD but my bike was in the garage and looking awfully dusty and I was using this little beast and discovered this usage for it.

https://swiffer.com/en-us/shop-products/dusting/swiffer-360-dusters-extender-cleaner-starter-kit

I am OCD on keeping my windscreen ('16 RT, 23K miles now) clean and also 100% scratch-free! The secret to putting no scratches, wipe marks or other on coated polycarbonate is to float off debris using a pre-spray of Prosol Bugs n All followed by ample water. I learned to avoid wiping before flood cleaning and scratched up the screen on my F800GT and they don't come out, and it's completely avoidable.

You can get away w/o using a flowing stream of water by using simple 3x5 sponges fully soaked in cold water to wipe down using gentle pressure either inside, outside, or both sides of the screen. As a final step I blow dry most of the sucker w/ a Oregon 40v electric leaf blower before using a clean cloth for final drying. I do this ritual almost after every day's ride unless the bug splat count is low, as I love to start out thinking I'm on a brand new bike! About every 4 months or so the bike gets the full clean and wax, radiators cleaned, etc. For that ritual I will remove the windscreen and clean everything fully which is of course simple to do. F800GT's screen removal was a PITA.

I'm not really talking about the windscreen itself, more speaking to the black and grey plastic under it that gets dirty and dusty.

Hell of a routine you have there.

You say you're not OCD, but you were in the garage with a swiffer :)

True, true. :blush:blush

To my defense though I only initially went out to fill the tank and in the sunlight, door was up, I saw how much dust had accumulated on it throughout the day when I was out and about. Only then did I go inside after the swiffer.:)

Only then did I go inside after the swiffer.:)

See there was your first mistake you have to keep the swiffer with you at all times!

In my OCD mind, OCD is exactly what is called for in piloting aircraft, and right next to or above that is piloting two-wheeled wingless aircraft, like my 787 Dreamliner!

IMG_1211_zpskduae1sr.jpg

This is a scary neighborhood.......

On the R1200GS models the windscreen comes off by undoing two fasteners. Normal post-ride cleaning is usually good enough but once in a while parts need to come off to do a proper cleaning.

RangerReece Mullins would be right at home here, and could give lessons about on motorcycle OCD...

Bike Cleaning

Since we're on cleaning, I guess I have my own brand of ocd. I clean my bike once per trip, at the end of the trip, and so when I arrive at the bike for the next trip, it is clean and ready to go. While on a trip, I follow the same procedure to keep it clean. While packing up each morning I grab the ice bucket and fill it with hot water and stick a face cloth in it. I apply the sopping hot water wet facecloth to the windscreen and move it up and down slowly, re-soaking in ice bucket as needed, and this loosens up and dissolves all the bugs without scratching the windscreen. I wait a few, then pull out my own facecloth with plastic cleaner/polish, and give the windshield the once over. It is cleaner then when it was on the showroom floor. Sometimes I'll take the sopping wet face cloth and remove the bugs on the headlight covers too, and Darla's I have on the bike. When I slide into the saddle, I'm mostly looking through the windshield, and the bike feels very clean. I don't see the rest of it since I'm driving, so dirty doesn't matter. All I need is that clean windshield and I'm feelin' clean.

Often there are cruiser bikes in the motel parking lot, and they almost never cover their bikes for the night (I always do, "out of sight out of mind!") which surprises me because they often spend a lot of time wiping the bikes down to shine up the chrome. I look over and know I would have a few more aches and pains if I did that every morning. Course, BMW's are designed to be seen as a blur going by...so dirt isn't as much of an issue.

Scott

20150521_065616.jpg

I wash bikes every now and then. Generally, if I'm at home I just remove the bugs from the windscreen and other forward facing surfaces by softening everything with hydrogen peroxide and wiping with a wet microfiber cloth. On the road I carry some wet microfiber rags in a ziplock baggie. I do clean the bikes very well while I have them on the lift for winter maintenance.

Often there are cruiser bikes in the motel parking lot, and they almost never cover their bikes for the night (I always do, "out of sight out of mind!") which surprises me because they often spend a lot of time wiping the bikes down

The nice thing about not covering the bike at night when you're east of the Mississippi, is the overnight dew softens up the bugs making it easy to wipe them off.
I always ask the motel for a cleaning rag and never use the room towels.

A few times we have stayed at motels that provide a bike wash area.
Hotel Seville (1).jpg

20150816_185909.jpg

When I took mine in for the 20,000 km service, the dealer detailed the bike. It is cleaner and shinier than when I bought it. They waxed all the painted parts and cleaned even all the hard to reach places.

Since we're on cleaning, I guess I have my own brand of ocd. I clean my bike once per trip, at the end of the trip, and so when I arrive at the bike for the next trip, it is clean and ready to go. While on a trip, I follow the same procedure to keep it clean. While packing up each morning I grab the ice bucket and fill it with hot water and stick a face cloth in it. I apply the sopping hot water wet facecloth to the windscreen and move it up and down slowly, re-soaking in ice bucket as needed, and this loosens up and dissolves all the bugs without scratching the windscreen. I wait a few, then pull out my own facecloth with plastic cleaner/polish, and give the windshield the once over. It is cleaner then when it was on the showroom floor. Sometimes I'll take the sopping wet face cloth and remove the bugs on the headlight covers too, and Darla's I have on the bike. When I slide into the saddle, I'm mostly looking through the windshield, and the bike feels very clean. I don't see the rest of it since I'm driving, so dirty doesn't matter. All I need is that clean windshield and I'm feelin' clean.

Often there are cruiser bikes in the motel parking lot, and they almost never cover their bikes for the night (I always do, "out of sight out of mind!") which surprises me because they often spend a lot of time wiping the bikes down to shine up the chrome. I look over and know I would have a few more aches and pains if I did that every morning. Course, BMW's are designed to be seen as a blur going by...so dirt isn't as much of an issue.

Scott

View attachment 62331

What you wait until morning to clean the bugs off? In my OCD mind I can hear the bug juice etching the paint! I carry q-tips for tiny places too.

Just last October sold my 10 year old RT and some thought the 36K had been put on inside on a treadmill! And my GSA is equally as clean which really freaks folks!! Yep it is a sickness!

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

Back