• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

90 Octane

blkb1rd

My area, Just north of Charlotte NC, I can only find in non ethanol is now 90 octane. Does any one know if this is good enough for my 06 R200RT. Since I HATE Ethanol gas (thanks Mr Gore)

Thomas Casey
75 R75/6 Ole yeller
06 R1200RT Big red

REC 90 is the only non-ethanol gas available. I was in the marine industry for many years and that is what I used in my boats and vehicles.
Don't get me started on how bad ethanol is for engines, as I have had to replace one outboard because of it....

My area, Just north of Charlotte NC, I can only find in non ethanol is now 90 octane. Does any one know if this is good enough for my 06 R200RT. Since I HATE Ethanol gas (thanks Mr Gore)
I hate ethanol too. Don't blame Gore, he started that crap about as much as he invented the internet. There are 535 maniacs in DC keep that crap in gas.
Back to the topic at hand. Do you know if that 90 is RON, MON, or (RON + MON)/2 (AKI)? If it is AKI it is good. IIRC if it is RON, it is also good, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

90 Octane is at the top of the mid-grade rating and will likely do the job. If your bike starts to ping find a Chevron station with the Techron additive ( I believe there is a Chevron station in Charlotte), it might prove to equal the premium factor that you are looking for. That said, if no pinging occurs, moving to premium may offer no improvement but will result in a higher cost of operation. When travelling there is sometimes no choice but to fill with ethanol treated gasoline (the ultimate "farm-aid" additive). When stuck I do, but as soon as I come upon a non-ethanol pump, I top up. My big fear is having the ethanol rot the fuel strip in my 2009 RT. Interesting to note that almost all gasoline now comprises a component of ethanol, however, I'm told that if it is under 4%, it does not have to be disclosed at the pumps. The RON/MON thing has already been explained in this thread - RON (research octane number) MON (motor octane number - usually 8-10% lower than RON) and divide by 2. i.e. RON 95 MON 85 equals an octane rating of 90.

Interesting that vehicle engines using ethanol suffer from the higher water content in the fuel and often offer lesser fuel economy. If true, you use more fuel than non-ethanol, ergo, where is the win for the environment? An entire farming economy has come into being thanks to the use of ethanol, the farming community represents significant voting power so ethanol or similar agro products are here to stay.

Government never lets common sense stand in the way of a bad decision!

TY all for the info. The Wife (the second Jackie in my motorcycle life) said as per the net there is a station a couple miles off my normal course to and from work that still has 93, so I'll check this out. IF not my plan is half tank NE (non-ethanol) and half 93 E. I do agree lots of time on the road I have no choice but to Ethanol. I'll look at the system used to post the Octane number next time I pull in but am about sure it's RON around here. am not going to use any type of Octane additive as I've been told that is risky. I only worry is for my 75 model. Yes I agree the whole concept of Ethanol is a JOKE that ruins fuel economy and made corn pricy to eat. I do believe Mr Gore (Yea back to him) stated that a few years ago he pushed it only cause he was paid to by the lobbies for that sort of thing (yes I could be wrong but am liked by most of the unicorns in my little world)

Tom Casey
75 R75/6 Ole yeller
06 R12RT Big red

good gas

A few years ago, I called the local petroleum distributors asking for zero E gas and found one that gave me a list of stations/stores that they supplied.

I paid all of them a visit and found one that has both 87 and 93 octane zero E. The 93 makes the bike run great! They are 12 miles from my home but worth the trip. Gore Grocery in Gore VA on old US50. They do not price gouge as I have seen at some marinas.

Have other several other stations here in the northern tip of VA much closer that do carry 87 zero E for the car and lawn mower.

Ethanol?

While not endorsing burning food for fuel, I can only get ethanol gas in my area. Both rt and multistrada run fine on premium. In the winter I use stabil and have no problems. Last year the area I stayed in for two months had ethanol and non ethanol. I ran tanks back to back and honestly could never tell a difference in the Ducati. Gas mileage the same too. Rt on ethanol 47-50 mpg.

Since lead and MTBE are banned for environmental reasons, ethanol IS the octane booster in today's fuel. Easy to understand why you can't find high octane fuel without ethanol.

Seems a shame to let your politics get in the way of your engine running at peak efficiency ... at least at 10% there's NO downside. Don't worry, be happy.

Back