• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 r1200r skene photon blaster install

tater

Looking for input on choosing a good switched power source for these lights and getting access to the wire. I want them on all the time when running so was thinking tapping the low beam headlight. If that's a good choice where is the best place to access the wire?

Thanks !

I would look at this-

phpfrEPYA.jpg

If I was going to do it. It's from Twisted Throttle http://www.twistedthrottle.com/elec...-connector-for-bmw-ducati-triumph-motorcycles

Which has irritated me as of late with their Criteo cookies :banghead

At least you have an idea :)

Gary

This Best of Forum may help as well- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?56217-12V-Power-Distribution

Looking for input on choosing a good switched power source for these lights and getting access to the wire. I want them on all the time when running so was thinking tapping the low beam headlight. If that's a good choice where is the best place to access the wire?

Thanks !

If you use the low beam headlight - remember that it isn't turned on until the engine starts. Better to use the parking lamp.. that comes on/turns off with the ignition. And that's what the Twisted Throttle thing is supposed to do. My experience with it was less than satisfactory - happily TT is excellent on returns for what I consider a defective design. A Positap does minimal damage to the wire being tapped. DO NOT EVER USE the "Scotch-Lok" (blue pinch things) connectors. They destroy the wire they're attached to.

Slight hi-jack....
DO NOT EVER USE the "Scotch-Lok" (blue pinch things) connectors. They destroy the wire they're attached to.
Interesting, I have used many of the 3-M brand Scotch-lok, sized appropriately, and never had a problem :dunno
OM

If you use the low beam headlight - remember that it isn't turned on until the engine starts. Better to use the parking lamp.. that comes on/turns off with the ignition. And that's what the Twisted Throttle thing is supposed to do. My experience with it was less than satisfactory - happily TT is excellent on returns for what I consider a defective design. A Positap does minimal damage to the wire being tapped. DO NOT EVER USE the "Scotch-Lok" (blue pinch things) connectors. They destroy the wire they're attached to.

The skene kit comes with posi-tap connectors and it makes sense to use the parking lamp power source rather than the low-beam. I think there is enough room in the headlight housing for the skene controller which is fairly small. I read somewhere that on BMW's the ground wires are brown. Is that what you've found? Thanks to all for your help !

Bill

Skene Photon Blaster Install

Completed the install this afternoon. All went well and the Skene's look good and are highly visible.

Thanks to all for your explanations and advice !

Bill

Slight hi-jack....

Interesting, I have used many of the 3-M brand Scotch-lok, sized appropriately, and never had a problem :dunno
OM

And I've had to replace more than 1 wiring harness needlessly damaged by Scotch-Lok connectors. The dissimular metals used, combined with their open non-watertight construction leads to electrolysis that will travel right up the copper wire inside the insulation. I truly hate those things.

And I've had to replace more than 1 wiring harness needlessly damaged by Scotch-Lok connectors. The dissimular metals used, combined with their open non-watertight construction leads to electrolysis that will travel right up the copper wire inside the insulation. I truly hate those things.

I'd add to that by saying that the 3M/Scotchlock connectors cut through more that half of the insulation (leaving the wire poorly supported) and squeeze the wire into a narrow slot. The failures I had were caused by vibration flexing the wire where it passes through the slot. The Posi connectors just poke a small hole through the isolation and the wire seems to be better connected. The company that makes the Post tapes makes a number of similar connectors for other wiring joins.

Back