• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Skene's front and back

craigjv4

Just installed them yesterday.

I wasn't crazy about the front fork brackets so mounted them on the front fender.

Made a plate to mount the two led's below the rear license.

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

Great location for the front ones!

1007161501b_resized.jpg

Misc%2057.jpg

Jim :brow

Nice! Am sure it attracts the attention of the cagers.
Now next step would be, if care to, install LED bulbs and connect the rear light/brake thru the Skene module!
That way you can have conspicuous position light and flashing brake, just like them two LED bars!:nod

Gotta be careful with the fork mounts. The LEDS are very directional. They need to be aimed straight forward. If just mounted to the forks they will be aimed up at the fork angle. Their brightness where you need it at car level will be lost. The R1200 in Jim's pic is a bad install.

Same concept applies to the rear ones... dont just bolt them on at the same raked angle as the license plate.

Gotta be careful with the fork mounts. The LEDS are very directional. They need to be aimed straight forward. If just mounted to the forks they will be aimed up at the fork angle. Their brightness where you need it at car level will be lost. The R1200 in Jim's pic is a bad install.

Same concept applies to the rear ones... dont just bolt them on at the same raked angle as the license plate.

It depends on what your objective is. Mine was to aim them at turning people on the side of the road. In that case the install has proven to be perfect. I'm not at all worried about someone straight in front of me. Unlike the rear lights, the front are, for me, designed to catch the attention of people turning in front of me. So, NOT a bad install at all.

Thanks. In my case, function followed form a wee little bit. I'll accept a slight bit of diminished performance in order for them to look "built in"; I strongly dislike add-on's looking like "add-on's" if you know what I mean. For the rears, I planned on shimming the backing plate if necessary to better align for the vertical sight line.
At least this way, the modules are fully supported their entire length so there is no bracket to turn, get bumped, and get misaligned.

Riding yesterday, I could see drivers doing a "double take" when looking in my direction. I also noticed cars behind me stopped a little farther back at stop signs and street lights. Or maybe it was just me paying more attention to where other drivers were looking?

Nice JimVB!!

I think they look good. And ya, blended in vs addon is way better.

All that matters is that YOU are happy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It depends on what your objective is. Mine was to aim them at turning people on the side of the road. In that case the install has proven to be perfect. I'm not at all worried about someone straight in front of me. Unlike the rear lights, the front are, for me, designed to catch the attention of people turning in front of me. So, NOT a bad install at all.

well, by straight i mean perpendicular to the ground. i assume people turning are not up in the air either. they need to be perpendicular, or close to perpendicular to the ground to be seen well. for catching turning cars eyes, they can be angled to the side a bit, but still need to be NOT angled UP. in the second pic of your bike, they are clearly angled UP. it is really pretty obvious how much light is lost if you are off center from the LED's.

i am far more concerned with maximizing my ability to be seen than a "look" on the bike. Just my thoughts, everyone has their own motivations. I am just a function over form guy. :)

rear install angled to be correct and not just bolted to the lic bracket.

different bike, viewed "on center"

same bike viewed just slightly "off center". much light loss. the LED's really need to be aimed correctly to be most effective. just like headlights do. it makes a big safety difference....assuming that is what you spent all the big bucks for skenes for.

Last edited:
Back