• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Upgrading luggage confusion

tps3443

I would like to install some bigger better boxes on my R1100RS. Im finally setting my bike up, nav, luggage, and riders equipment. These things can easily outweigh the cost of the bike alone.

Either way, I really want to equip my R1100RS for me and my wife for longer excursions.

I would like to install some nice rugged panniers with more space., Preferably the trunk to. I'm just confused with mounting kits, boxes, compatibility.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I would like to install some bigger better boxes on my R1100RS. Im finally setting my bike up, nav, luggage, and riders equipment. These things can easily outweigh the cost of the bike alone.

Either way, I really want to equip my R1100RS for me and my wife for longer excursions.

I would like to install some nice rugged panniers with more space., Preferably the trunk to. I'm just confused with mounting kits, boxes, compatibility.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

There is not a lot of aftermarket stuff for the RS. But there are extra-large lids available for the OEM bags that enlarge them considerably. If I were looking, I'd look for some of the large lids.

Hey, considering the R1100GS uses the same luggage as the R1100RS from the factory.

Wouldn't the aftermarket mounting hardware work with different boxes?

1100RS luggage

The left inner bag is reduced capacity due to different exhaust on GS. As Paul mentions, larger touring lids will fit and best route to go. I saw a pair recently on this site or the advrider.com or ibmwr.org sites

Deep lids, large topcase

I recently added an older version of the Hepco & Becker Junior 55 topcase, and it matches the side cases nicely. I would like to get the deep lids for the side cases also, or another pair of side cases with the deep lids (switch 'em out depending on need?)

+1 on the deep lids. I really like mine.

Made up some custom hinge "nuts" so I can switch back and forth in an instant.
(not that I ended up doing that much)

+1 on the deep lids. I really like mine.

Made up some custom hinge "nuts" so I can switch back and forth in an instant.
(not that I ended up doing that much)

I did the same. Original lids are gathering dust in the garage. One day I'll use them...maybe. :laugh

I just bought and installed the BMW 33L topcase for my 1150rs. I was going to go aftermarket for the larger capacity, but I really like the way the BMW case looks on the bike. I will say that it's a strange design and you really need a liner to get the most out of it. I have an aftermarket topcase as well but hated the way it looked on the bike. Way too big for the size of this bike. With the sidecases and topcase I have over 90L of space. If I need more than that I think I'll take my car. I don't think the adventure style luggage will look very good on the RS imho.

I've upgraded my '94 R1100RS to the large lids. I really like extra capacity. I've also added the 1100 RT rear rack and trunk. Again I like the extra capacity. All three bags are key coded the same. The bags work well and match the look of the bike. All and all, I'm happy with the results. :thumb

I'm the 2nd owner of my '94 R1100RS. It came with the saddle bags. I knew I wanted the RT trunk. Found a nice used one at one of the nationals. I had to buy a rather large steel subframe and mount it to the frame of the bike to get the rear rack mounted. Required some fabbing and modification to mount. The actual rear rack for an RS was rather flat. Was not designed to hold the RT trunk. I bought the RT trunk rack. It had the rear lip to lock on the trunk. Some of the stuff you went thru 20 years ago to get what you wanted. :)

Bar That Holds the Rack

Picture 4983.jpg
Picture 4984.jpg
Picture 4987.jpg
Pretty stout piece. I guess all the development in an all new bike platform, didn't leave a lot of room for all the accessories to be ready for the roll out of a new model. It really reinforse's the subframe. You lose some space in the small rear storage compartment.

Picture 4985.jpg
Picture 4989.jpg
Glad I did it in the end. Kinda of frusterating during the process. All the keys match including the ignition key. That's pretty convenient. The hold rear rack assembly is pretty stout. If you had to get of hold of it and move the bike around, it'll do the job. I was at a dealership one day many years ago and a customer was asking the counter guy about doing this job on his RS. He was told that it could only be done for RT's not RS's. He really didn't know what really could be done. At one time it was the latest greatest; now it's just a good nice looking older bike. I have'nt rode this bike in quite a few years, need to do a little tuneup and get it out on the road. :)

One of the reasons Germany leads the automotive world is that local regulations ensure engineers do a thorough job.

This means all OEM BMW equipment is aerodynamically tested to assure stability of the bike and that the weight limits for each piece of luggage are clearly stated.

Overloading and fitting aerodynamically dubious equipment will make your bike less safe than designed. Don't assume lots of slop in the specifications.

I apologize. I use BMW equipment improperly on my RS. RT trunk, GS hand guards, RT rear fender extensions on front and rear fenders, large saddlebag lids. Probably more dubious equipment. Plez disregard all my suggestions. Carry on.

I put a GIVI rack on my R1100S, so you should be able to put one on the RS.

I have a GIVI E360 ( 40 liter ) trunk with back rest and rack that I move between my two bikes, serves the purpose. I use the BMW touring hard bags with no muffler cutout on the S. The exhaust is under the seat so no problems with bag interference.

If you send me an email I should be able to send you a picture.

Back